Auto Save

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dale Aceron

Auto Save

Unread post by Dale Aceron »

is there an Auto-Save function in H&M? I tried looking in the Program Options but can't seem to find anything.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Auto Save

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dale,

There used to be an Auto-Save but because of the way the projects are structured it had to be modal -- i.e. it interrupted your work because it was necessary to ensure that no further changes were made until the save was completed. Because of this, most users turned it off and didn't benefit from it.

This has now been replaced with an automatic rescue copy feature that works a lot better. While you are working HM saves copies of all the changes you have made in your current session locally, even if your project is on a network drive. If there is a save error or some other problem you then have full copies of all the topics that were not saved except the topic that is currently open. This is transparent and works very well. See here for details:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... encies.htm

That being said, nothing is better than developing the nervous tic that is still second nature for all computer users from the early days: Whenever you are not typing for more than 5 seconds, press CTRL+S. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dale Aceron

Re: Auto Save

Unread post by Dale Aceron »

Yes, I think the nervous tick is probably the bets way to go. Thanks Tim!