Remove Topic Name in Printed PDF

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dale Aceron

Remove Topic Name in Printed PDF

Unread post by Dale Aceron »

How do I remove the Topic Name in the printed PDF Manual?

Attached is a screenshot of my Manual Template, The Printed PDF and H&M7.

I want to remove the word PlanningTEST.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Remove Topic Name in Printed PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dale,

You could prevent the top-level heading from being displayed by removing the <%HEADING1%> entry in the template and reducing its band height to 0, but then ALL level 1 topics in your entire project will have no headings. If that is what you want, then that is OK. If you want individual topics to not have headings you need to turn the heading off in the topic itself: Click on the gear icon in the top left corner of the topic editor and disable the option for the topic header.

We also need to be clear about what we are looking at on the output side here. In your PDF screenshot we see three topic titles, one above the other. If the second two aren't something you have created in the body of a topic, then the first two chapters are "chapters without text", i.e. TOC entries with subchapters that don't have any topic content of their own. To turn off all those headings you would need to delete all the variables in all three bands in your template and reduce their height to 0. However, that would result in ALL the topics in your project not having any headings in the PDF. If you want them to have titles they would need to have titles in the body of the topic. That would be a rather complicated way of achieving something that you already had with the heading bands turned on... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dale Aceron

Re: Remove Topic Name in Printed PDF

Unread post by Dale Aceron »

Thanks Tim,
That helps us out a lot!