Whiteboard animations, anyone?

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Whiteboard animations, anyone?

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I'm just wondering if whiteboard animations would be a topic of interest for HelpXplain users.

Here's an example, a quick draft and the pen position is yet not accurate. Does this make sense for documentation?
https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... ations.mp4
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Simon_Dismore

Re: Whiteboard animations, anyone?

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Alexander Halser wrote:I'm just wondering if whiteboard animations would be a topic of interest for HelpXplain users... Does this make sense for documentation?
It's a nice idea, if not the most urgent priority for current users it might attract new ones. But it's been around for a while so your implementation would have to be pretty slick to compete with the existing tools.

I think you'd need to synchronise the animation with narration – ideally both text and audio – which means implementing timelines & tracks. That involves a new component for UI plus an underlying data model and a way to represent it in output format(s). The media overlay model in ePub 3.2 might be worth investigating as a starting point for output – AFAICS that distills 15 years of experience with talking books, so (i) no need to invent something specific to EC-software and (ii) you can test your prototypes against standard ePub readers.
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I mainly present design concepts and could see how it would be very useful for this application.

I've even done it before in PowerPoint via a ridiculously long and complicated hack.

I'd like the possibility of turning the 'artist' off and having the lines just 'appear'.

+1!
Steve Gill

Unread post by Steve Gill »

It could be a very useful feature. You have my vote.
Terry McMorrow

Unread post by Terry McMorrow »

Great idea to help spice up tutorials we are creating.