Changing the order of slides is awkward

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kai

Changing the order of slides is awkward

Unread post by Kai »

I keep forgetting how to do this and wonder why the obvious way does not work: have the commands "Move up" and "Move down" in the context menu of slides when the "Slides" tab is active.

If those those two command had keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+{Up} and Ctrl+{Down} associated with them life would become better for me.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Changing the order of slides is awkward

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kai,

I'm sure that assignable keyboard shortcuts will be coming in the future, but you would still need to select the slides list for them to work. The whole program is in a different modes when working on an individual slide and when the slides list is selected, so even if a shortcut was assigned it would only be possible to allow it to be active when you are in slide list mode.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

If those those two command had keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+{Up} and Ctrl+{Down} associated
They have exactly those two shortcuts. But the keyboard focus needs to be on the slide list to make this work. It does not work if the focus is on the canvas.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Kai

Unread post by Kai »

I probably made mistake by clicking somewhere else by accident. I thought I tried exactly that and it did not work, but now it does, so I must have done something stupid.

Thanks!
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Kai,

It's not strictly necessary to have the slides in running order in the list. In Slide Properties > Position & Timing on the right, you can set the Follow-Up Slide to follow a slide with any other slide.

p.s. Alexander, that wording might be better as "Follow-On" rather than "Follow-Up".

cheers,

Martin.
Kai

Unread post by Kai »

Thanks Martin, but in my case it is indeed that simple.

Andreas: maybe Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End could move a selected slide to the top or bottom respectively?
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Alexander Halser wrote:the keyboard focus needs to be on the slide list to make this work. It does not work if the focus is on the canvas.
Might be a good idea to make the focus more explicit. FYI PowerPoint has the same issue, when you change the zoom factor it's not clear whether it will apply to the slide list or the current slide.