Tiny title

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

Tiny title

Unread post by Tim Frost »

I have noticed that in the Help&Manual program window, the text in the centre of the window title (showing my project name and the words "Help & Manual") has shrunk almost to invisibility, looking much like two-point size. In itself, this does not bother me, but the same problem affects my Ewriter output, where it renders the document title (in the same position on the title bar), and the menu button at top left, equally unreadable.

I have no doubt that Windows is the principal culprit here, coupled with my 4k screen. The problem affects both monitors on my main machine (one 192 dpi, one 120dpi) but running either app on a 96dpi display or in a 96dpi VM shows the problem text normally. I can find no other programs on my system which have this problem, other than H&M itself and its Ewriter output. And I have other programs which place similar text in the centre of the title bar without reducing it. As an example, I will attach a Windows Snip Tool screen shot of the Snagit H&M screen shot in the Snagit Editor (Snagit does not do selfies). Note the 'Snagit Editor' title in the centre of the title bar, compared to the H&M title.

Can anything be done about this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Tiny title

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

The text in the program title bar is purposely kept quite small because it can become quite long when it also includes the path to your open project. It will get slightly larger along with all the other interface text in the program when you adjust the Text Size setting in the View menu. It still won't be super large, that isn't intended, but I find it perfectly legible on HiRes screens, both my 27" 4K monitor and my comparatively tiny 12" Surface Pro monitor.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

OK, I agree it is probably OK for the IDE. But in the EWriter output the text just looks ridiculously, erroneously small on a 4k monitor; and actually not worth showing at all, since in our case it is repeated in the bar below. But a clear description in the title bar is still useful on a crowded screen. Worse, the one-word caption on the Ewriter top left button is completely anonymous. I will send you by e-mail a screen shot of our own E-Writer output.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Tim Frost wrote:But in the EWriter output the text just looks ridiculously, erroneously small on a 4k monitor; and actually not worth showing at all, since in our case it is repeated in the bar below. But a clear description in the title bar is still useful on a crowded screen.
The eWriter title bar is not there to be visible, it is just a small reference that is meant to be as unobtrusive as possible. The title is the job of the skin header in the WebHelp or eWriter skin you are using. I do agree that this could be larger and more responsive to the background color of the title bar, but that is the way it is at the moment. :?
Worse, the one-word caption on the Ewriter top left button is completely anonymous.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "anonymous" but if you mean the text that is just a placeholder that you're supposed to edit. See here for details:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_worki ... menus.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.