Topic does not show in results of full-text search

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sonia Guimond

Topic does not show in results of full-text search

Unread post by Sonia Guimond »

Hi,
When I generate a project to WebHelp, one of the topics cannot be retrieved when I do a full-text search. The full-text search works fine for other topics.
I’m using version 7.5.2 Build 4717. I use a skin to generate the output. This skin is based on one of the responsive skins from the Premium Pack. The topic ID is “Config_images”. The topic title is “Configurer les images utilisées dans l’application ». When I type images in the full-text search, this topic is not listed in the results. However, other topics containing the word images are shown in the results.
I checked the exclusion list in the help project. The word image or images is not listed.
I created a test help project with a few topics and a copy of the “Config_images” topic that cannot be searched. If I generate this test project, I get the same behavior. When I type images in the full-text search, this topic is not listed in the results. However, other topics containing the word images are shown in the results. I could upload that test project if you need to investigate.
Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there something I may have added in the topic or the skin that could prevent full-text searching?
Regards,
Sonia Guimond
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Topic does not show in results of full-text search

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sonia,

This is caused by a recently-discovered bug in Help+Manual itself relating to the handling of the responsive V3 Premium Pack skins. These skins have sub-folders for JavaScript files (/js), CSS files (/css), image files (/images) and the JSON versions of the topic content for fast loading (/jstopics). Obviously, the files in these folders must be excluded from the search index. Unfortunately, the search indexer is currently not distinguishing between folders and files, and it is also just looking for those four names anywhere in the folder or file name.

As a result of this, any topics with IDs that include "css", "js", "jstopics" (unlikely) or "images" anywhere in their IDs are being skipped by the search indexer when you use a V3 skin. This is going to be fixed in the next maintenance update. Until then, the only way to work around this problem in your case is to change the topic ID so that it does not include the string "images". Then the topic will be included in the search index... :roll:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: The problem is not in HM but in the search indexer. Its own list of "excluded" files is the culprit, because it automatically excludes any folders and/or files that contain the listed text anywhere in their names. We're going to have to come up with a strategy to get around this limitation... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sonia Guimond

Thank you for the reply. As a work-around, I'll be changing the topic ID so that it does include the word "images".

Sonia
Sonia Guimond

Ah! I meant, I'll be changing the topic ID so that it does NOT include the word "images".

Note to self. Never post without having a coffee :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Sonja,

This has now been fixed in a patch to the current 7.5.2 update, now incremented to build 4720:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd
Regards,

Private support:
Sonia Guimond

Thank you! The build is installed. Problem solved