Project properties

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

David_KM

Project properties

Unread post by David_KM »

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask if project properties, especially Title & Copyright, are accessible as metadata (if yes, how?), or these are just text variables.

Tried to retrieve metadata from PDF, but it seems information like document version are not stored here. Looks like it could be done by parsing PDF file, but as there is external library mandatory (iText), I'd rather avoid that.

Thanks!
David Zaremba
KM Technology
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Project properties

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi David,

The properties are available as global variables but whether and where they are exported really depends on you and how you use the variables in your skins and templates, not on Help+Manual. It also depends on the output format: In HTML, for example, you don't really get automatic properties anywhere, although a number of general variables are included in most of the templates and skins.

If you want meta information in your PDF you need to put it there. In your project go to Configuration > Publishing Options > PDF > PDF Options. However, document version is not included there.

See the variables topics in the documentation for details of the available variables and how to use them:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_worki ... ables.html
https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_ref_variables.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
David_KM

Re: Project properties

Unread post by David_KM »

Thanks for help and claryfing info.

I'll try to work with that, hopefully reaching desired result. However, document version recognizable by Windows would be the best.
David Zaremba
KM Technology