Switching Style Repository via command line

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Anna Ryut

Switching Style Repository via command line

Unread post by Anna Ryut »

Hi!

I have the following problem:
1. One project
2. 2 different customers that both need WebHelp and PDF from this project, but with different styles (fonts, logos, colors, etc.)
3. I've created 2 different style repositories and usually switch between them before publishing WebHelp
4. How can I automate this process? Like an additional flag for helpman.exe command or smth.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Switching Style Repository via command line

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Anna,

Sorry, but this isn't supported. Switching repositories is actually a very "deep" operation so there isn't an option to switch this at publish time, so currently you do need to switch the repository manually within the project. However, it's an interesting proposition that nobody has brought up before, so we will discuss it in the development team. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Anna,

What you can do here is use the uncompressed HMXP format if you are not already (and if you aren't, you absolutely should!!) and have two copies of the main .hmxp file in the same project folder. Just make a copy of the existing .hmxp file with a different name and then change the style repository reference in the second version.

You can also use this method to have different versions of a whole range of different settings, including your project search path if you want to have different versions of your images in two locations. The TOCs are in separate files in the Maps subfolder, so that doesn't get affected.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Anna Ryut

Unread post by Anna Ryut »

Hi Tim!

Thanks for the advice. We will try this method :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Anna,

Just some warnings on this method. It's important to understand what the HMXP references:
  • The TOCs -- making changes in existing TOCs is OK. If you add a new TOC you need to make a new copy of the HMXP.
  • Topic folders. Making new topics in a folder is not a problem. If you add a new folder you need a new copy of the HMXP.
  • Baggage files. Changes in existing files is OK. If you add a new one or delete an existing one you need a new copy of the HMXP
Regards,

Private support: