Weird style issue...headings have turned italic.

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Laini Giles

Weird style issue...headings have turned italic.

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Hi Tim and everyone--

One of our IT guys came over the other day to help with my monitor because it was doing some flickering. He installed some Windows updates to try to fix things, and just after this, my headings in Help+Manual strangely turned italic. We don't want them to be italic. :/

I checked Styles, and nothing has changed. Nothing indicates a change to italic there (as in, it's saying everything is fine; the headings are nomal, non-italic font). My coworker who is also uploading our files through git (Sourcetree) says it hasn't affected our main branch; that the headings still look fine there, so it's only affecting my computer. Which was only mildly annoying working with the files until today when I tried to generate a PDF, and the headings are appearing italic in the generated PDF. My coworker is now working remotely in a 13-hour different time zone. If we're in a crunch, and I'm the only one who can create a PDF, this will be a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Laini
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Weird style issue...headings have turned italic.

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laini,

Look down at the bottom of the Help+Manual window and click on the Screen/Print toggle button. My guess is that you hit it by mistake and that it was only a coincidence that it happened at the same time as your other configuration changes. What it does is switch the editor window between the two sets of style settings for screen (WebHelp, CHM, eWriter) and print (DOCX, PDF, eBooks) formats. Each style you define can have two sets of settings, and the Screen/Print button allows you to choose which one you want to view in the editor.

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_worki ... print.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laini Giles

Hi Tim--

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that wasn't it. I tried it both ways, and the headings stay italic no matter what. :(
Laini Giles

Well, I figured it out.

All I had to do was reapply our Roboto Black Regular font, and that seems to have solved it.

So if anyone else has that problem, go into Styles, re-click on the font it SHOULD be, click OK and that should correct it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laini,

Note that Roboto is a Google font that is not normally installed. Users who don't have it won't see it in their documentation unless you are embedding it in your PDF, for PDF, or using it as a Google Web Font for WebHelp (which is only actively supported in Premium Pack skins). In CHM it won't work at all unless the user has it installed on their computer because you can't use web fonts in CHM.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.