Problem with Screenshots

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Problem with Screenshots

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi,

is it only me that is having problems with the Screeshot XExplain over Remote Desktop?

The only thing that works is draging&createing custom rectangles (I can add them to a list). Strg-Click produces the screenshot.
But moving the mouse and having small green dotted frames around the windows does not work.

I can provide a screencast of a remote session where a screenshot is performed in case it cannot be reproduced...

Kind regards,
/Gerold
BTW: Screencasts seem to work and all problems I have with Xplain are due to the person typing iin the keyboard :-)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Screenshots

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,

I'm passing this on to the developers. However, I wouldn't expect screenshots to function via RDP at all. I'm surprised it's not locking up your computer and turning it into a purple pumpkin. :twisted:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

But moving the mouse and having small green dotted frames around the windows does not work.
Is the screen of the host PC shown 1:1 on your machine or is the content scaled? Which OS does the host machine run?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Gerold Krommer

Hi,

the scale is indeed 1:1, the target OS (the one which I log on through remote desktop) is Windows 10.

Hope this helps,
/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gerold,

Quick update: We're looking into this. What definitely won't work is if you are opening HelpXplain as a standalone app via RDP, i.e. without the remote desktop around it. Then it will be trying to capture the remote desktop (it cannot capture your local desktop, that doesn't exist for it), which also doesn't exist. When we test via RDP with the complete host desktop then everything works fine on our systems.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Hi Tim and Alex,

I'm trying to document an application that does not run on the computer helpXplain it is licensed to (my laptop). This is for technical and also for DSGVO (data protection) reasons. So this is where RDP comes into play...

Interestingly enough a few basic tests show that the screencasts (which I would think are technically more demanding) work pretty well in both modes. One installing it on the remote computer and capturing a screencast as well as running it locally and capturing the screencast from an area of the remote desktop.

My current workaround to not having the windows automatically recognized and marked by a small dotted green line is of course to drag&mark the windows individually , combinging them with shift-click and then capture with strg-click. Not nice, but an acceptable workaround.

Addendum: Now after a few tries, I do get the green dottet lines somehow, but the screenshots do not work at all (as you predicted) , I get s small blue area with a HUGE mouse pointer.

So all in all: unpredictable
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gerold,
I'm trying to document an application that does not run on the computer helpXplain it is licensed to (my laptop). This is for technical and also for DSGVO (data protection) reasons. So this is where RDP comes into play...
If that's the only reason for using RDP you don't need to. Your HelpXplain license can be installed on two machines. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Gerold Krommer

Hi Tim,

yes, I remember this, but that doean't help me if I can onl access the system via RDP.

The whole issue raised my interest an I will test how other tools like snip, TNT and HMs own screenshot tool behave.

Of course, the idea of screencasts is not to have to have screenshots :roll:

/Gerold