Re-numbering a list

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Re-numbering a list

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I think I'm missing some basic understanding of numbered lists.

Occasionally when editing a numbered procedure (adding more steps, images, tables etc) numbered lists will reset or the flow will be interrupted causing the list to reset.

That's fine but I can't seem to find an option to apply carry on numbering from the numbered list I already have; I only get an option to restart or pick a new number to start from. This again would be fine, but there seems to be a problem applying a numbered list if it is 'broken up' by a table.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Re-numbering a list

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ga,

You can't "carry on" with a paragraph that doesn't belong to a list, but you can interrupt an existing list. For example, if you want to include a paragraph with an image in it and then continue the list, first create the paragraph for the image as part of the list, INSIDE the list. There MUST be another list entry after it, otherwise this won't work. Then click in that paragraph and click on the list tool to UNlist the paragraph. The next entry will automatically update with the next number, following on on the last numbered entry.

If you ever get stuck with this, just select the WHOLE list, including the extra paragraphs, and un-list everything. You may need to click more than once to do this. Then re-number the entire list and un-list the excluded paragraphs as described above.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Tim Green wrote:
If you ever get stuck with this, just select the WHOLE list, including the extra paragraphs, and un-list everything. You may need to click more than once to do this. Then re-number the entire list and un-list the excluded paragraphs as described above.
I can't get this to work across tables though.

The only way I can see round it is to remove all the tables, re-number it (with the extra paragraphs), paste in each table and then unlist... :?

Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

No, as the message indicates, lists can't work across table borders. Tables in an editor are a lot more complicated than they look. Each cell of the table is actually a separate instance of the editor, so each is like a separate document. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

EDIT:

Ignore me. I can just do as Tim suggested.