Texboxes cut off the 'desenders' of the characters in the last line

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kooswillem

Texboxes cut off the 'desenders' of the characters in the last line

Unread post by Kooswillem »

When the last line of my text box has characters with 'desenders', characters with parts below the baseline like a low capital 'g', that desender is not fully shown, and you are not allowed to make the box bigger.

The work-around is to create an empty new line.

This image is an example on the Internet of what I mean, [*]you can't upload images in phpBB fora.

* I was wrong, you can. Sorry.

Last edited by Kooswillem on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Texboxes cut off the 'desenders' of the characters in the last line

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Willem,

What tool did you use to create those texts in HelpXplain? I'm not quite sure what you mean by "text boxes" here and it's not possible to see what you did from your screenshot. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kooswillem

Hi Tim,

I use:
Home -> Text

This creates a text, and the last line in that text (at least in the font we use, 'Raleway') will have cut-off desenders.

Is there a way I can provide you with a screenshot, short of putting it online and creating a link to it?

The image in my post above is not a screenshot, but an example of what is happening, as I do not know how to upload an image to this forum.
Kooswillem

Just tested, I will also cut them off in other fonts like 'arial'.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Kooswillem wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 amIs there a way I can provide you with a screenshot, short of putting it online and creating a link to it?
You post screenshots with the Attachments tab below the posting editor. Make sure that the cursor in the editor is in the position where you want to place the image before clicking on Place Inline, or move the tag inserted afterwards.
forumattachments.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kooswillem

See the image below.

1. I have a text box on a green rectangle shape. The text is in the font type 'Raleway', pt.27. The last line loses it's desenders (like the tails of the 'y', 'g' and 'p').
2. When I select the text it become even more clearer, the edge of the text box ends before the desenders do.
3. When I enter an empty line after the last line, the problem is solved as the text box is still cut close to the base line, but because this is on the next line, the desenders on the previous line will show.
Characters without desenders.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kooswillem

Tim Green wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Kooswillem wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:45 amIs there a way I can provide you with a screenshot, short of putting it online and creating a link to it?
You post screenshots with the Attachments tab below the posting editor. Make sure that the cursor in the editor is in the position where you want to place the image before clicking on Place Inline, or move the tag inserted afterwards.

forumattachments.png
Thanks, I never knew nor would I have guessed it possible!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Willem,

This is odd and I can't reproduce it. I've tried both with the integrated text box in every shape (double-click on the shape to activate) and by positioning a normal text object on top of a shape. Both work fine. Are you running the current version of HelpXplain (1.2.0 Build 1227)? I think the best thing to do is to mail me a small Xplain in which you can reproduce this effect. Send it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check it out right away.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Willem,

Update: Now I could reproduce it. I needed a combination of a certain text size and number of lines. We'll look into it right away. You no longer need to mail me anything. 8)
Regards,

Private support: