Azure/GitHub Repo as Passive Source Control

Please post all questions on Help+Manual 8 here

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sheri Steeves

Azure/GitHub Repo as Passive Source Control

Unread post by Sheri Steeves »

Hello,

We're using the new H&M8 and want to keep our documentation in source control.

We are using Azure DevOps with Github for our source code, and want to use the same, passively, for the documentation. At most we have two people working on the docs, and usually not at the same time.

The current idea is to populate a Github repo, and work off local clones of the repo, syncing them as necessary.

Our setup is using an uncompressed HMXP, I'm just wondering if there are any files/subfolders that I should not check into source control, any folders or file extensions that need to be ignored by adding them to the .gitignore.

I was wondering if the _history folder needs to be excluded? It looks like straight XML files with a different extensions so I was thinking the whole tree would be OK

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Azure/GitHub Repo as Passive Source Control

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sheri,

You can safely include everything in the project folder in source control. It's also a good idea to put your graphics folders inside the project folder so that everyone has access to the same files.

On the history folder: Yes, you can include those files as they are also standard plain-text XML. They are 1:1 copies of the previous versions of your project files saved every time you save, with additional extensions to prevent overwriting. The question is whether you actually want to have the history active if you are also doing source control, as it's then a belt and suspenders thing. You can configure the depth of the history and whether it should also track deleted and renamed topics in Configuration > Common > Misc. You might want to turn it off completely if you have source control. (HM disables topic history automatically when you are using active source control support.)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sheri Steeves

Re: Azure/GitHub Repo as Passive Source Control

Unread post by Sheri Steeves »

Tim,

Thanks for the reply and the detailed information about the history folders. We're already doing it, but good tip about graphics.