Start autoplay after spotlight animation

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

Start autoplay after spotlight animation

Unread post by Tim Frost »

I have an xplain with six slides. For all of them the Transition is set to Pan,Rotate,Zoom, with no autoplay set, and the user can click or tap the left-right arrows to initiate a one-second sideways transition to next (or previous) slide.

The fifth slide has a spotlight zoom-in animation with a delay of 2.5 seconds, a duration of 1 second, and a pause of 2.5 seconds. I want this slide to transition to the sixth slide automatically, six seconds after it was first shown; this slide is a larger picture of the target of the spotlight.

I assumed that setting 'autoplay show' as 6 seconds on this slide and unchecking Stop AutoPlay might achieve this, but it does not. It just stays showing the small spotlight. Based on another answer here I have tried restarting autoplay (5) in a global script on reaching the fifth slide (4), but this moves to the sixth slide immediately before the spotlight animation starts. How can I make the autoplay wait for the specified display period?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Start autoplay after spotlight animation

Unread post by Tim Green »

If I understand what you are doing correctly, this should work: On the slide before the one where you want autoplay to resume, don't attach a "Next Slide" action to your "Next" button. Instead, attach a script to it with a simple xplain.play(). Autplay will then start and continue to the next slide. You can then set "Stop autoplay at this slide" again on the next slide where you want it to stop again.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Thanks, that would seem logical, except that I am not aware of having a 'next button', or any other button, to 'attach' to. My slides automatically show white arrows to the user in thin greyed bars at the left and right edges, but there is no button object visible in design mode. I have specified no 'next slide' action which I could replace. If there is no simple solution then I may leave it the way it is; having manually moved through each of the earlier slides by touching the right-hand edge of the picture on their phone, most users would probably move on to the next slide when they can only clearly see a small spotlight area on the current one, with a white on greyed arrow on the right.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

If I understand you correctly, the theme you are using includes Previous, Next and Play buttons. For behavior like this you don't want that. Instead, choose the minimal theme without player controls. Then you add an appropriate shape with a "Next" action to each slide where you want the user to proceed manually. In the slides where autoplay should not happen you set the slide to stop autoplay at that slide. Then in the slide BEFORE the one where you want autoplay to restart you attach a "Play" action to your "Next" button instead of "Next".

If the player controls are there your users will just override your planned behavior anyway.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.