Why do these text variable items appear different in the source?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

rossmcm

Why do these text variable items appear different in the source?

Unread post by rossmcm »

HandM-2023-2-1.png
as seen here, I see two different renderings of the text variables in the Help editor. The ones with the border are either predefined ones or ones I have entered using the dialog in the editor. The ones without borders are ones that were imported via a text variable file with the /V command line option to the command-line help compiler, and the references in the help source are entered just by typing or cut-and-pasting the reference "<%SomeName%>" into the source.

Does that account for the difference, or is there some other difference I need to be aware of? Both forms seem to behave as I would expect.

Just curious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Why do these text variable items appear different in the source?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Both versions are fine. the variables in the "bubble" are inserted by the Variable tool, but that is just a convenience. Help+Manual will interpret the variables even if you just type them in by hand, or import them as plain text. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.