Search dialog

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

uha-cbas

Search dialog

Unread post by uha-cbas »

Hello,

I always have the problem that with Ctrl+F the search dialog does not appear. This is very annoying when you want to make changes in the HTML or CSS code. In addition, the entire program goes completely into the background when pressing the Escape key, if the search dialog is open. At the moment I'm still using the trial version and don't have a license yet, but I think that should have nothing to do with the problem.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Search dialog

Unread post by Tim Green »

The most likely cause here is that it IS popping up but you just can't see it because it is not on your screen. Dialogs not appearing is normally a Windows problem associated with dual monitors. It happens when the second monitor that you sometimes have connected to your system is currently not connected. Unfortunately, Windows is still quite inefficient at handling this situation and it often opens dialogs on the monitor that is not currently present, making it seem that they are not there.

This is easy to fix:

Quick way:
1) Press the key combination or select the option that opens the hidden dialog.
2) Hold down SHIFT and the Windows key and then press the right or left arrow key to snap the hidden dialog onto the current screen.

Slow way:
1) Press the key combination or select the option that opens the hidden dialog.
2) Hold down the ALT key and tap SPACE, then release the keys, tap the M key once and then hold down the left or right arrow key until the hidden dialog slowly moves into view on the visible monitor.

In both cases the dialog will open on the visible monitor the next time you access it.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
uha-cbas

Hello and first of all thank you for the answer.
Yes, I have two monitors connected, but I don't have this problem with any other program. I will test the suggested solutions tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks and greetings
uha-cbas

Hello,
unfortunately, the suggestion does not help either. Once the search dialog is gone, it is not possible to activate it again.
And the problem, if you had the search dialog open once and then close it, that the whole program goes into the background, is also very annoying.

Thanks and greetings
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Once the search dialog is gone, it is not possible to activate it again.
And the problem, if you had the search dialog open once and then close it, that the whole program goes into the background,
Hmm... This is very strange and we've never heard any reports like this. Please do a clean reinstall to see if that helps. Before starting, make sure that you have your license key so that you can activate the program after reinstalling. 

Before starting: Check your maintenance status with Help > About. If your maintenance is still active you can download the installer for the latest version. If it isn't, then click the [Older Versions] link and download the latest installer covered by your maintenance:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html

1: Uninstall Help & Manual in the Windows Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs)

2: In the Windows Start menu select Run and enter "regedit" to start the Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ECSOFTWARE. Select the Help+Manual 9 key/folder and press DELETE to delete it.

3: Close RegEdit and install the program with the new installer.   
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

We've never seen such a behaviour. With search dialog, do you refer to the specific find & replace dialog for topic content or to the generic search dialog for HTML content (you mentioned HTML and CSS)? Please post a screenshot, how this looks like, before you close the search dialog.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
uha-cbas

Hello,

it's about the search dialog when you want to search something in the HTML or CSS code. I just tested this on a computer with only one screen, there the problem doesn't seem to occur, at least not so fast. But even with only one screen the program goes into the background when you close the dialog with the ESC key or click on "Cancel".
search_dialog.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

We can still not duplicate this behavior. Neither with the German nor with the English UI.
Can you right-click the editor and open the dialog with the context menu?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
uha-cbas

Hello and thank you for the answers.
It always seems to work via the context menu. But what still happens is that the program is put into the background when you close the search dialog. However, I have not tested this extensively now. As mentioned, I only have the trial version installed at the moment. We intend to buy H+M with the floating license next week. After a new installation I will test if the problem still exists.

Thanks and greetings

PS: is it allowed to ask here only in English?
LilyanaCarney

Unread post by LilyanaCarney »

Really useful and necessary information, thank you very much, because I myself have always faced a similar problem and I am wildly angry.