Converting hm3 to hm6 error

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Robert Nash

Converting hm3 to hm6 error

Unread post by Robert Nash »

I have H&M 6 and want to import an older H&M 3 project. So I converted the .hm3 to a .hmxz project. When I open the project, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Cannot load .....hmxz! Please ensure that you have sufficient rights to open the project.
ProjectOpen: This client is too old to work with the working copy at .....
You need to get a newer Subversion client. For more details, see
  http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change
I have TortoiseSVN 1.9.5.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Converting hm3 to hm6 error

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Robert,

First of all, I note that you have a SubVersion (SVN) message there. Since you are using a single-file .hmxz project, you cannot meaningfully use SVN. The .hmxz file is a compressed binary (actually a Zip) that SVN cannot do anything with. You need to use the uncompressed HMXP format, so that SVN can version all the individual project files.

Before doing anything else, please first make sure you are using the latest version of Help+Manual 6, which is 6.5.6 Build 3027. Check with Help > About and download the installer here to update if yours is older.

Then move the project files you are trying to convert out of your SVN system (you also cannot manage HM3 projects at all meaningfully with SVN, since they only use compressed binaries) and try the conversion again. If you continue to have problems, please send the HM3 projects to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check them for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert Nash

Hello Tim,
I am not using TortoiseSVN with H&M at all. I'm a developer, and we have it installed on the computer for Delphi projects. The folder with the converted hmxz project is not under any SVN control. Also, all projects I do with H&M have the hmxz extension, and I have no probklem opening them. It's only the hm3 project and the converted version that are causing this error. I
Regards,
Henning
Robert Nash

PS: I have exactly the named version!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

OK, those boxes are ticked. So please do send the .hm3 project you are trying to convert to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it for you.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert Nash

I moved the project to another folder, and used the automatic (not the manual) conversion option when opening the hm3 file, and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks, now I am on H&M 6 and enjoying your continuous development, making this the best editor on the market.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Robert Nash wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:33 am I moved the project to another folder, and used the automatic (not the manual) conversion option when opening the hm3 file, and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks, now I am on H&M 6 and enjoying your continuous development, making this the best editor on the market.
Thanks for confirming this. Note that as a HM6 user you also qualify for a big discount on an upgrade to the current version:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/order.htm ... on=upgrade
Regards,

Private support:
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

And it is worth it!!

(I'm not affiliated with EC Software)