Change relative path to absolute path

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

alanchcw

Change relative path to absolute path

Unread post by alanchcw »

Hi,

Is there a way to change the relative path to an absolute path for the resources used in the help page, like below:

We are using GTranslate service, which will produce a multi-language URL by adding the language code to the original one,

For example, for https://www.datanumen.com/support-doc/o ... /index.htm, its Spanish version will be https://www.datanumen.com/es/support-do ... /index.htm

But the resources will not be copied. So if using the relative path, the Spanish version will not work any more.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Change relative path to absolute path

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is unnecessary and trying to make changes like this on this level also won't work. Please don't try to do this. :shock:

Each language version must be a complete and separate WebHelp collection, in its own folder on the web server, and to achieve this correctly you need to translate the Help+Manual projects, not the HTML output. In addition to not working and creating a hot mess, translating the HTML like this will make it impossible for you to update changes. And instead of an online AI translation tool, use DeepL, which will produce better translations and is already integrated in Help+Manual so that you can do the translation work directly in Help+Manual or Help+Manual Translation Assistant. If you use the Help+Manual Translation Assistant program to do this, you can translate entire projects with a single click (although you do still need to have a native speaker proofread the results, just as you must with translating the HTML -- there is no free lunch there :twisted: ).

You then create links to the other language versions in each language project, so that users can choose the correct version for them.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
alanchcw

Thank you.

I download Help+Manual Translation Assistant and find it is version 9.1. Does it work with Hel & Manual 7.0 professional(What I have)?

Also I am using the trial version of Help+Manual Translation Assistant, when I try to activate DeepL, I see this:

The "Show DeepL Plugin" menu item is disabled. Why? Do I need to activate the trial version to use it?

Also it seems that I must have an Internet connection to use DeepL service?
Tim Green
Site Admin

You need Help+Manual 9 to use HMTA. The two tools are paired.
The "Show DeepL Plugin" menu item is disabled. Why? Do I need to activate the trial version to use it?
You can only use the plugin once you have created and opened a session. It will not be greyed out then.
Also it seems that I must have an Internet connection to use DeepL service?
It is an online service. So, yes, of course :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
alanchcw

I have two questions regarding Translation Assisant:

1. Can I invoke bulk translation in commandline?

2. It seems the trial version does not have any limitations, except that it will expire after one month?

3. In the CHM help document, the navigation bar is not translated, how to translate it? Or if not possible, how to hide it?

Tim Green
Site Admin

Can I invoke bulk translation in commandline?
No, there is not currently a command line interface for this.
It seems the trial version does not have any limitations, except that it will expire after one month?
That is correct.
In the CHM help document, the navigation bar is not translated, how to translate it? Or if not possible, how to hide it?
That is not part of the project. You need to create a translated version of the .hmskin file used to generate the new CHM file. In the current CHM skins you can find the texts in the source code of the page template, in Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default.
Regards,

Private support:
alanchcw

That is not part of the project. You need to create a translated version of the .hmskin file used to generate the new CHM file. In the current CHM skins you can find the texts in the source code of the page template, in Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default.
Can I hide it completely?
Tim Green
Site Admin

alanchcw wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:56 am Can I hide it completely?
Theoretically yes, but it provides the user with valuable navigation information and it doesn't really cause any problems. If you want to do it, you need to make two changes.

First, hide the breadcrumbs navigation:

1) Open the .hmskin file in Help+Manual and go to Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default.
2) Locate the following line of CSS code:

Code: Select all

p.crumbs { font-size: 10pt; margin: 0 0 0.0625in 0 }
add ; display: none; to the definition, like this:

p.crumbs { font-size: 10pt; margin: 0 0 0.0625in 0; display: none; }
Then adjust the minimum height of the header:

1) Locate this block of CSS code:

#headerhead {  
        padding: 0.0625in;
        min-height: 0.5in;
        color: <%SKIN-HEADER-TEXT-COLOR%>;
        background: <%SKIN-HEADER-COLOR%>; 
	opacity: 0.95;
	box-shadow: 1px 1px 3px #888888;
      } 
2) Change the line min-height: 0.5in; to min-height: 0.2in;
Regards,

Private support:
alanchcw

Theoretically yes, but it provides the user with valuable navigation information and it doesn't really cause any problems.
Perfect!

The main problem is that we need to translate the texts in it as well. If you can provide a way to translate the texts automatically, then we will surely keep it happily.

Also the commandline of Translation Assist is very important to support multilanguge. I even consider of write a program to invoke DeepL API directly to make a copy of the English project and translate all the XML topic files. But it seems that your Translation Assistant do more than this.
Tim Green
Site Admin

alanchcw wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:00 amThe main problem is that we need to translate the texts in it as well. If you can provide a way to translate the texts automatically, then we will surely keep it happily.
Most of the standard WebHelp skins now have all texts like this in variables, stored in the skin in Configuration > Common Properties > Text Variables. The standard CHM skins haven't yet been updated for this. However, if you use the more advanced CHM skins in the Premium Pack, they come with XML language files containing all the texts they use for easy translation.
Regards,

Private support: