Issue trying to create Web-Help using v5 Skins

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Glenn

Issue trying to create Web-Help using v5 Skins

Unread post by Glenn »

I am trying to create Help and Manual 9 web-help output using a new v5 skin (V5_MinimalModern_SamuraiRed_WebHelp).

If I open my project and publish webhelp using the default skin from my C drive at "C:\Program Files (x86)\EC Software\HelpAndManual9\Templates\HTML Skins\Premium Pack 5.1.0\V5 Minimalist Modern WebHelp Skins" it produces web-help output fine.

When I copy the skin file to another folder on my PC and rename it, so I can edit the Skin text variables etc., it doesn't seem to be working. I keep getting the message "<%TABLE_OF_CONTENTS%> variable missing in Content template!" in the "Compiler Messages", even if I just change the name of the file and edit nothing else. Can you please advise if I am missing something and need to do anything different, or perhaps this is a bug?

Can you also please point me to the instructions for changing the default web-help header image and adding my own company logo as I can't seem to find the info on that in your web-help... it is probably there but I am struggling to find the info.

Thanks and I look forward to any advice you can provide.

best regards,

Glenn
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Issue trying to create Web-Help using v5 Skins

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Glenn,

The error message indicates that the copy of the skin you are editing is damaged. When you copy the .hmskin file, how are you editing it and what are you using to edit it? You should edit Premium Pack skins with the Toolbox utility included with the Premium Pack, not with Help+Manual. It's important to read the Premium Pack help, which you can display from Toolbox or also visit online here:

https://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp5help/index.html

Can you also please point me to the instructions for changing the default web-help header image and adding my own company logo as I can't seem to find the info on that in your web-help... it is probably there but I am struggling to find the info.

The instructions for this and other basic settings in the Minimalist Modern skins are here:

https://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp5he ... odern.html

I also recommend reading the general chapters on configuration and using the Toolbox utility.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Glenn

Re: Issue trying to create Web-Help using v5 Skins

Unread post by Glenn »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your additional info.

I was just copying and pasting the skin and renaming it but this didn't seem to work. I also tried opening the skin in Toolbox from the original install folder and saving it with a new name in a project folder in that way, but alas I still encountered some error messages when trying to save. So then I downloaded and reinstalled the skins and relaunched Toolbox and attempted to open and save the skin again in a project folder and this seemed to be successful. I feel perhaps there was some sort of corruption in my original download, so perhaps reinstalling has resolved it? I will let you know if I encounter any further issue but hopefully all is now well.

best regards,

Glenn