Open PDF document from within CHM file does not work any longer

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Frank_Wibu

Open PDF document from within CHM file does not work any longer

Unread post by Frank_Wibu »

Hi fellow Help+Manual'ers:

I have a problem here.

I used to refer to a pdf file located in the baggage directory. After compiling the CHM the pdf file successfullý displayed.
I used the option Internet Link | Address: type="weblink" href="ms-its:CodeMeterDeveloperGuideUs.chm::/OpenSource_en.pdf"

For whatever reasons, it does not work any longer.
In "Configuration | Publishing Options | Microsoft HTML Help | HTML Export Options I checked the box "File links - ...".

Does anyone has an idea why it is not working any longer?

Help appreciated
Frank
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Open PDF document from within CHM file does not work any longer

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Frank,

You need to use a file link, not an internet link, and create it with the link tool. Then it will work. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Frank_Wibu

Hi Tim,
thank you for your reply.
If I use the file link option, select a file from the baggage directory, and use the test button the pdf opens as expected.
Unfortunately, after compiling I get the message that an access to this page is not possible.
Any other ideas?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Frank_Wibu wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:56 am Unfortunately, after compiling I get the message that an access to this page is not possible.
Use the file link and enter the ms-its: link that you referenced in your first post. Also, don't bother with the "Test" link, that is almost always irrelevant. It is a legacy function from old versions of Help+Manual and only shows you whether you can access the file on your computer, which doesn't mean anything for the final published documentation. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Frank_Wibu

Well, I used the file link option and the ms-its link and still I got the no access message
:?
Frank_Wibu

I also replaced the pdf by a text file and compiled the chm.
The same result. So it seems that the no access has nothing to do with the pdf format.

On referring to the pdf from within the project using the other Web Help and PDF as output formats everything works as expected. Hhmm… I am not :frustration: but confused …
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Frank,

What is the filename of the PDF you are trying to open? The Microsoft CHM system was abandoned by Microsoft soon after its release in 1998 and none of its bugs and limitations have ever been addressed. Among other things, you need to be very strict with filenames: They should be short, no spaces or special or accented characters of any kind. Only use plain ASCII characters, a..z, A..Z, 0..9 and _. That is stricter than absolutely necessary, but puts you on the safe side.
Regards,

Private support:
Frank_Wibu

Hello Tim,
I guess with naming I should be on the safe side. I use „OpenSource_en.pdf“ as file name as shown in the first post. I wonder why it works for Web Help and PDF outputs.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Frank_Wibu wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:56 am I guess with naming I should be on the safe side. I use „OpenSource_en.pdf“ as file name as shown in the first post. I wonder why it works for Web Help and PDF outputs.
Hmm, strange. Please send a small demo project and the PDF to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it directly. Please don't send the CHM by email -- that would be blocked as potential malware (even if it's packed in a zip).
Regards,

Private support: