A skin like VitePress

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Phil Haselden

A skin like VitePress

Unread post by Phil Haselden »

Hi,

I would like a skin like the VitePress one. https://vitepress.dev/guide/what-is-vitepress. It is nice and clean, uncluttered, and simple.

One of the main things I like is the always visible (unless the window is narrow) "On this page" section on the top right. It would be great to have this in Help & Manual produced WebHelp. It does mean the body text content is narrower, which is OK, but I wonder about graphics/screenshots not being big enough for the reader. I suppose graphics could be handed by either being able to click on them to zoom out to full size, or by letting them be full width and scrolling under the "On this page" section.

The page is also quite responsive. For example, narrowing the page moves the "On this page" section into more of a menu.

While their TOC pane on the left looks nice, I think we would want to keep (more) expanding levels we currently have, and the Search as part of that UI element.

So, my questions are:
* Is there any chance of adding a standard skin like this to the Premium Pack?
* If not, are you able to provide any guidance on adding the "On this page" section to our current skin?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: A skin like VitePress

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Phil,

Skin design and development takes a long time, so this is something that would have a time frame measured in multiple months. It's an interesting design and we'll certainly consider doing something like this, with no promises as to when, however.

As to the "On this page": This has already been implemented in the Premium Pack for years. It's called the Auto-TOC. See here in the documentation:

https://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp5he ... _atoc.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Phil Haselden

Unread post by Phil Haselden »

Thanks Tim,

I was aware of the Auto-TOC but, as far as I know, the entries cannot be made always visible on the page (ie not in a menu) and do not provide a visual indication of what the "current" section is within the topic like the vitepress one does. Is that right?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Phil Haselden wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:51 am I was aware of the Auto-TOC but, as far as I know, the entries cannot be made always visible on the page (ie not in a menu) and do not provide a visual indication of what the "current" section is within the topic like the vitepress one does. Is that right?
Yes, that is correct. Personally, I feel that is a better solution as it doesn't clutter up the page unnecessarily. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.