How to split a project

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Iwona Politea

How to split a project

Unread post by Iwona Politea »

Hi,
What is the easiest way to divide the project into several smaller ones (by chapters) so as not to lose connection with other topics that were included in the original project?
--
Regards,
Politea
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to split a project

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Iwona,

Create as many full copies of the entire project as you need for the number of projects you want to split it into. Use a suitable name for each projecct copy. Then just delete the topics from the TOC that you don't need in each one, making sure the option to delete the topic files is also selected in the dialog that appears when you do this.

This WILL break the links that now go across project boundaries. You will need to edit each link and select the project containing the target link in the Help File: field in the Topic Link dialog. Then you will be able to select the link from that topic. These links will then only work in your published output if the projects are combined in a modular project and published together. See this chapter in the help on working with modular projects:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_a ... dular.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Iwona Politea

Re: How to split a project

Unread post by Iwona Politea »

That's what I did but I thought there was a link machine. Thanks you for your answer.
--
Regards,
Politea