Symbol 'nu' in equation output looks like 'v'

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bilaai_b

Symbol 'nu' in equation output looks like 'v'

Unread post by bilaai_b »

Hi all,

The output of the Greek symbol 'nu' looks very similar to the letter 'v' in an equation written directly in H&M9 text editor or using LaTex equation editor.
latex1.png
Equations in the red and blue boxes are written using the LaTex equation editor in H&M 9 (great additional tool, btw! Thanks). However, the equations in the red boxes contain the letter 'v' as a parameter (displacement) while the equation in the blue box contains the Greek symbol 'nu' (as Poisson's factor). As you can see, they look very alike and can confuse the readers.

As a comparison between the results side by side written using Latex and without: (FYI, the letter 'v' is used before the equal sign and the Greek symbol 'nu' is after the equal sign)
latex2.png
the equation marked with yellow is written directly in H&M 9 (without Latex),
latex3.png
the equation in the blue box is written using Latex. Both results look almost the same and you could barely see the difference.

There is also no other option for the font in the equation editor. Only Cambria Math is available.
Grateful if someone had some idea on how to solve this issue. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Symbol 'nu' in equation output looks like 'v'

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bilai,

This is an inherent problem, because the Greek letter ν is literally identical to a Latin v. (I speak Greek and also know Ancient, Koine and Medieval Greek, by the way... 8) ) I think all you can do is not use them together in a context like this.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.