Hidden topic appears only in search in compiled webhelp

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Lyn Gilmore

Hidden topic appears only in search in compiled webhelp

Unread post by Lyn Gilmore »

I have a project with multiple hidden topics ie: un-ticked all boxes in "include in builds". Have accidently discovered that several of the hidden topics can still be seen in Webhelp. They can only be seen when doing a search on key words in the topic - do not appear in the Contents or Index areas - only in Search.

There are no referrers in these topics, no links, and I even tried deleting keywords in topic options. Also deleted my stored internet files. Yet, they haunt me.

They don't turn up in PDF, or Word, or HTML help - just Webhelp. Its not a big deal but I am interested in understanding why this may be happening.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Hidden topic appears only in search in compiled webhelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Lyn,

This is happening because the topics were once included in your output and you didn't flush the output folder after removing them, for example with the "delete all files" in output folder option in the Publish dialog. The search index for WebHelp is generated on the HTML files in your output folder, not within Help & Manual itself. So if the old files are still there they will be included in the search.

Similarly, you should also flush the WebHelp folder on your web server as well when you make changes. Even if the old topic files there are no longer included in your search within Help & Manual's own WebHelp interface if you have flushed your output folder, they will still be included in Google and other search engine indexes if your web server is on the open Internet. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Lyn Gilmore

Unread post by Lyn Gilmore »

Thanks Tim. I knew I was going to feel silly when I heard what the issue was!
KerryPenver

Unread post by KerryPenver »

I'm getting the same issue. I've now hidden all topics except one simple one so they included in "None" builds
Yet the CHM file generated only contains that one topic in it's TOC and the search/index includes lots of entries which open topics that should not have been included.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

KerryPenver wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:48 pm I'm getting the same issue. I've now hidden all topics except one simple one so they included in "None" builds
Yet the CHM file generated only contains that one topic in it's TOC and the search/index includes lots of entries which open topics that should not have been included.
Please see my answer to your question posted in the other location. Please don't post the same question twice in different locations in the forum. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.