Best practices for linking to external tools

Discussions about Help+Manual 9

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bryguy321

Best practices for linking to external tools

Unread post by bryguy321 »

Currently in our help system (CHM based) we have links that launch external programs to allow the user to view DXF files, or to change the values of program settings. This worked seamlessly until Windows 11. In Windows 11 it still works, but the user is nagged with:

"Some content of this document has been blocked for your safety.
Do you wish to view blocked content"

Questions:
1/ Is there a setting in windows that controls this nag?
2/ Are there better options to conveniently open/guide the user to programs external to the help system?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Best practices for linking to external tools

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi "321",

It is rather surprising that you have been able to start external applications from your CHM files in Windows versions before 11 as well, as starting programs from CHM links has been completely blocked since Windows XP SP2. I am guessing that you are not starting the EXE of the programs directly, but just opening data files associated with programs, in the same way that a .docx file you link to will open in Word.

The "nag" warning isn't complaining about the file per se, but about content it contains. This means that Windows has scanned it and identified content related to known and still uncorrected vulnerabilities, or has identified a program being called that could cause problems if used maliciously. You won't be able to disable this, except by changing the content or the behavior in question.

What you can do is stop using CHM and replace it with Help+Manual's eWriter format. It packages an entire WebHelp site in a single safe, compressed and optionally encrypted data file that can also be sent by email without issues. You just need to install the compact eViewer.exe along with your application, or users can install it with a free installer or from the Windows Store. Among other things, eWriter can link to EXE files and perform other operations with links for the kind of tutorial tasks you have been performing with CHM links up to now. It also supports context help links to both topics and anchors in topics, of course.

eWriter basically removes the disadvantages of both CHM (dated interface, no use on networks, ancient bugs, no skinning, no Unicode) and WebHelp (every link to WebHelp opens in a new page) and combines their benefits (fully skinnable, deployable on networks, external links, single interface).

You can learn about eWriter here in the Help+Manual documentation:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_whatsnew_ewriter.html
https://helpandmanual.com/help/hm_worki ... s_exe.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
bryguy321

Unread post by bryguy321 »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the insight. The eWriter approach is intriguing but outputting it from an existing project isn't working as expected.

Issue 1:
=================
We created a test from one of our projects and the Hyperlink to launch our program doesn't appear to be working. It works when the "Test" button is clicked. However, when run thru the eWriter Viewer (4.0.0.0 for windows 64 bit), clicking the link does nothing. See attached image File_Link.

Issue 2:
=================
Similarly external links to CHM files are not working. See attached image Topic_Link. Is this an issue that will be resolved if the referenced CHM is converted to an eWriter file?

What do you advise? Also, where should I look in your documentation to learn how to migrate CHM projects so they work as eWriter files?

Thanks,

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

We created a test from one of our projects and the Hyperlink to launch our program doesn't appear to be working. It works when the "Test" button is clicked. However, when run thru the eWriter Viewer (4.0.0.0 for windows 64 bit), clicking the link does nothing. See attached image File_Link.
See here in the documentation, you need to include the exec: modifier ("Links to executable files" section at the bottom of the page):

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_p ... tions.html
Similarly external links to CHM files are not working.
Here too, you need to use the eWriter syntax for your links. See the documentation on the same page as above. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kevin_MBS

Unread post by Kevin_MBS »

So in bryguy321's example 1.. if the ewriter file will be located in the c:\mbs\hlpwin1 folder.. how do you call c:\mbs\exewin1\helpdxf.exe and pass drawing pa1.dxf?

just doing exec:c:\mbs\exewin1\helpdxf.exe
and leaving the pa1.dxf alone?

We also see that ewriter does not like embedded topics.

I have tried to attach a zip file of the current project so you can get a better idea of what the CHM will need to handle. Guess your forum page does not like my zip file. I do not like the compressed hmz format.
Tim Green
Site Admin

just doing exec:c:\mbs\exewin1\helpdxf.exe
and leaving the pa1.dxf alone?
That is what the Execution Parameters: field is for.
We also see that ewriter does not like embedded topics.
What do you mean by "embedded topics"?
Guess your forum page does not like my zip file.
Uploading something like that to an online forum is not a good idea. Test material like that should go directly to support.
I do not like the compressed hmz format.
It's just a regular zip archive, the same as DOCX for Word and many other similar formats. We do recommend using the uncompressed format for larger projects and daily work because it is more efficient and secure against Windows crashes, but the single-file format is still very useful for small projects, archiving and sending.
Regards,

Private support: