New callout styles and more

This section is for suggesting features and capabilities that you would like to see in Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

koralina

New callout styles and more

Unread post by koralina »

I used H&M several years ago and as I can see Impict hasn't changed at all. It's really sad that it creates so plane and old-fashioned screenshots' annotations for such powerful and modern manuals with skins etc. When are you going to catch up with your competitors (Dr.Explane, Snagit)?
Martin Wynne

Re: New callout styles and more

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

I have both Impict and Snagit, and much prefer to use Impict. There is much greater control over callouts, the results are better-looking, and the .ipp file format is more flexible than the .snag format.

Here is the sort of thing Impict does superbly -- you can't get this level of precision in Snagit:

Marmite, anyone? :)

regards,

Martin.
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Martin Wynne wrote:Here is the sort of thing Impict does superbly -- you can't get this level of precision in Snagit:
Give me SnagIt over Impict any day, Martin.

Much easier and quicker to use, much better looking results, just as precise.

What is in that screenshot (especially precision) that cannot be done in SnagIt?

I love it when carpenters get passionate about which tool is best ;-)

Happy New Year!
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

And, for the point of view of a "woodsman", rather than a "carpenter", TNT is great for quick turnaround, but Tim tells us that it won't be updated and may soon be discontinued :cry:

Rather than a precision tool kit (like Snagit or Impict), I need an axe: one or two swift cuts and the job is done!
Martin Wynne

John Waller wrote:What is in that screenshot (especially precision) that cannot be done in SnagIt?
Hi John,

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see for example (using Snagit 8 ) where I can change the exact angle and length of the pointer on a callout, the width of the callout border, the antialias algorithm, etc. Plus there is much more control over the drop shadow and transparency effects.

I know you tend to like what you are used to, but I enjoy using Impict. Whereas Snagit is always a pain and you can never quite get what you want. I'm familiar with the Snagit controls because mostly the same ones are in Camtasia. When editing video frames in Camtasia I'm always wishing I was using Impict. :(

regards,

Martin.
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Martin Wynne wrote:Unless I'm missing something, I don't see for example (using Snagit 8 ) where I can change the exact angle and length of the pointer on a callout, the width of the callout border, the antialias algorithm, etc. Plus there is much more control over the drop shadow and transparency effects.
Hi Martin,

I haven't used Snagit 8 for several years (I use the current version 10) and callout options are feature for feature the same or better as far as I can tell
http://bit.ly/fJDWSz

I agree that we each tend to enjoy using what we're familiar with.

Whenever I need screen captures, I instantly pine for Snagit.
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Winsteps wrote:And, for the point of view of a "woodsman", rather than a "carpenter", TNT is great for quick turnaround, but Tim tells us that it won't be updated and may soon be discontinued :cry:
Don't worry, you won't be left in the lurch. There are definitely development plans, but they go more in the direction of merging TNT's features into Impict and expanding Impict with even more capabilities. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
koralina

Unread post by koralina »

Ok, to be more precise, I made two callouts
Guess which one is from Impict.. yes, the left one.
And callouts look informal. For my documentation I'd like to have smth like Image
Martin Wynne

Hi koralina,

That's hardly a fair comparison. This is also from Impict:
test_impict.png
Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Thanks, Tim: "TNT; There are definitely development plans, but they go more in the direction of merging TNT's features into Impict and expanding Impict with even more capabilities."

Great, Tim, but please maintain a "minimum key-strokes, maximum good-looks" option. Turn-around time is measured in seconds (i.e., real-time) for some of my projects.