changing title

Please post all new bug reports for Help & Manual 5 here.
William_

changing title

Unread post by William_ »

Hi,

Changing topic titles/names via the project explorer pane is not always consistent via the inline editor (via clicking once on the title in the project explorer pane after it has focus already, it then becomes editable)

Most of the time change is reflected in the <Title> Tag in the Topic options tab and the Title area in the Page editor Tab (but not the Topic ID)

However sometimes neither are updated and even worse sometimes the reference to the topic is lost - the lost topic are because the Topic ID WAS updated via the outlined method which is unusual in of its self.

I think it is because I was 'too fast' in editing the topic titles + a bug or multiple bugs in the program?

I was adding an identical prefix to the title of 18 menu items which were all of the same parent node.

Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: changing title

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi William,

Editing the topic caption in the TOC will NEVER change the topic ID. That is physically impossible to the best of my knowledge. If you have found a way to do it we would really like to know about it and would like to see steps for reproducing it.

What is probably happening in your other cases is that you are editing captions that are different from the topic headers. If the caption and the header are identical, changing the caption will also change the header. However, if you edit the header this "unlocks" the link between the caption and the header, allowing them to be different. If you then edit the caption, no change will be made to the header, and the topic title tag will also remain unchanged.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
William_

Ok, I replicated closely the initial starting conditions - ensuring the following were identical on each topic (I did not check they were all identical in regards to the original post):
Project Explorer title
Page Editor Title
Topic Options Title Tag
and that the Topic Options Topic ID was in parity with them also.

I then added a prefix to them all via the inline editor in the Project Explorer in quick succession and found that all bar one had the change propagated to the Page Editor title and the Topic Options Title tag (but not the topic id - as expected). The one topic that did not rename, still will not even after double and triple checking that the titles are identical which is contrary to the stated functionality. Have sent you the project , perhaps it is of use to you in investigating?

Re the original post,
I am fairly certain that the topic id became edited - since it had the prefix - perhaps the topic was lost previously and in that case the topic id is edited or a guessed one is created? Anyhow I cannot replicate at the moment, but will keep an eye open for such occurrences in the future.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi William,
then added a prefix to them all via the inline editor in the Project Explorer
What do you mean by "inline editor in the Project Explorer"? Do you mean simply pressing F2 in the TOC and editing the topic caption? Or are you editing the XML source in the source tab?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
William_

yes, F2 on the Topic in Project Explorer is what I mean, thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi William,

I just checked the files and it's a very odd problem. It appears to be related to the precise length and content of the topic caption, which in this case is "Users_2". If you manually change the caption, Title tag and topic header to something a little different, for example "Users_632" and then edit the caption again, then the other components also change. My guess is that you've found a title that conflicts with some internal variable definition. I'll get back to you on it as soon as I have the developers' report.
Regards,

Private support: