Turning off print feature for Webhelp

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

ABennett

Turning off print feature for Webhelp

Unread post by ABennett »

I was asked by my boss to see if the ability to print the online help files could be disabled when publishing as Webhelp. I'm using H&M version 5. I've been looking around but don't see anything regarding this.

thanks.

Amy
----------
Thanks!
Amy Bennett
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Turning off print feature for Webhelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Amy,

It is impossible to prevent printing of web pages. Every web browser can print everything that it can display. If your material is so sensitive that you don't want anybody to print it you might consider not publishing it. Everything you put in a web page can always be copied and printed. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

Tim's right in that you cannot prevent determined users from printing any web page. e.g. View > Source then print or Print Screen or other means.

However you can discourage casual, convenient printing (print button or File > Print in a browser) by adding the following into your HTML Webhelp template inside H&M

<style type="text/css">
@media print {
body { display:none }
}
</style>

Don't be fooled into thinking that disables print entirely. It doesn't. It just prints a blank page when the Print button in the browser is pressed. This can confuse casual users into thinking their browser print button - or even the printer itself - is broken. Not sure if that's a good thing though.
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

As John said: This will discourage casual users, but it's very easy to get around it. So if your data are sensitive this would not be a good way to protect it... :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
ABennett

Unread post by ABennett »

I understand the "getting around it" part. I just needed to make it not easily printable. Thanks much for the responses. :)
----------
Thanks!
Amy Bennett