Inspiration needed from fellow writers..

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aitch

Inspiration needed from fellow writers..

Unread post by Aitch »

Hello all,

I'm going to start with updating installation and upgrade documentation soon. Which is a daunting task in itself.

The problem I'm faced with is how to get the user to read the correct installation document.

At the moment the customers are finding it difficult reading and understanding the current documentation.
Because of the complexity of the software (it's not a point and click installation), the instructions depend on several different factors : Operating System, Software Package, Single User etc.

What I was thinking of doing is having an option list taking them through their selections and then, depending on their choices, will navigate them to the correct installation manual (instead of eg "if you have windows XP, read page 3 of the manual").

I was thinking of using an excel spreadsheet with grouped sections, but I think even that will get a bit too complicated.

What would you use to make the following example as easy as possible to use?

1: Operating System
= Windows 7 32bit | Windows 7 16 bit | Windows XP 32 bit | Windows XP 16 bit | Windows Vista 32 bit | Windows Vista 16bit

2. Software
= Package 1 | Package 2 | Package 3 | Package 4

3. Online or Offline installation?
= Online | Offline

4. One User or Multiple Users?
= Single User | Multiple Users

5. Establishment
= Front of house | Cashier | Back Office | Head Office

and then, depending on the selections made, the customer will be navigated to the correct installation manual.

Any ideas / feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Heidi
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!