Styles defined in xml skin are ignored in the output

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Galgan

Styles defined in xml skin are ignored in the output

Unread post by Galgan »

We have created some new text styles in HMXP project and wanted to modify their font, size, color etc. for various builds (all generated from one HMXP project). Therefore we defined these styles in XML skins.

After publishing into PDF, only the standard styles (Normal, Heading 1, Comment etc.) are changed based on the xml skins. New user-defined styles are ignored and their original settings from HMXP are applied in the output.

Has anyone experienced similar issue? I am attaching a sample of XML skin.

Thanks,
Juraj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aitch

Re: Styles defined in xml skin are ignored in the output

Unread post by Aitch »

Hi Juraj,

Is it only the PDF export that shows different styles? I noticed that you are using a unique font, and Adobe reader doesn't always like 'new' things.
If you try with a different font, (perhaps one of the lesser used Standard Windows Font), does it still happen?
See THIS thread where it printed out different, until I changed PDF Reader.

Also, on a side note, there is a Font Embedding option in Configuration > Publishing Options > Adobe PDF > Font Embedding.
Check if the font is being embedded (which will most probably increase the size of the file though, so be warned).

Hope this helps.
Version 9.0.3 Build 6380

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Always check your spellar and gramming before you publish!
Galgan

Unread post by Galgan »

Hello Heidi,
we tried it with Arial but we got the same result. Problem must be somewhere else.

Juraj
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Juraj,

This will only work if the styles are already defined and used in the project, then you can overload them with an XML skin and change their settings. That is why it works with the standard styles, because the process of applying a skin is really an XML overload. If the styles aren't already defined they they won't be overloaded (i.e. redefined). I haven't actually tried this myself, but my guess is that if you pre-define the styles and use them in the project then the overload with the XML skin will work. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Galgan

Unread post by Galgan »

Hi Tim,
as I mentioned, new styles are defined both in HMXP project and XML skin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Galgan,

Please mail me a small demo project with your skin so that I can test it. Pack it all in a zip and mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Juraj,

Thanks for the project. It's actually working fine, the only problem is that you are using 3-digit color codes instead of 6-digit codes in your XML skin, and the colors are being ignored as a result. If you had also changed the font of the style you would have seen that the font was being applied, just the font color wasn't being applied.

XML syntax is always much stricter than HTML. So the full-format color code #ff0000 will work, but the abbreviated color code #f00 will be ignored. ;-))
Regards,

Private support: