installing version 6 BROKE version 5

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob Bohls

installing version 6 BROKE version 5

Unread post by Rob Bohls »

thought I was UPDATING version 5 but downloaded version 6

didn't realize this until it opened version 6

now I can't run version 5; it gets stuck at the opening splash screen

have uninstalled version 6; still stuck at splash screen

uninstalled and reinstalled version 5; stuck at splash screen

uninstalled, re-downloaded version 5 and reinstalled; stuck at splash screen
Rob Bohls

Re: installing version 6 BROKE version 5

deleted registry entries and reinstalled; stuck at splash screen

uninstalled & installed version 6; stuck at version 6 splash screen
Last edited by Rob Bohls on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rob,

If you didn't change the installation folder suggested by the HM6 installer it will have installed in a separate folder, so that you have the trial version of HM6 in its own folder and your original version of HM5 untouched. If you chose the HM5 folder for installing HM6 it is probably best to do a clean install. First download the current installer for HM5 here (the link is down at the bottom of the page):

http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html

1: Uninstall Help & Manual in the Windows Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs)
2: In the Windows Start menu select Run and enter "regedit" to start the Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ECSOFTWARE. Select the "Help & Manual 5" and "Help & Manual 6" keys (folders) delete them.
3: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > ECSOFTWARE and delete the same keys there, if they exist (they may not).
4: Install Help & Manual 5
5: Start the program and enter your license codes when prompted to activate it
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rob Bohls

Tim Green wrote:Hi Rob,

If you didn't change the installation folder suggested by the HM6 installer it will have installed in a separate folder, so that you have the trial version of HM6 in its own folder and your original version of HM5 untouched. If you chose the HM5 folder for installing HM6 it is probably best to do a clean install. First download the current installer for HM5 here (the link is down at the bottom of the page):

http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html

1: Uninstall Help & Manual in the Windows Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs)
done
2: In the Windows Start menu select Run and enter "regedit" to start the Registry Editor. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ECSOFTWARE. Select the "Help & Manual 5" and "Help & Manual 6" keys (folders) delete them.
done
3: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > ECSOFTWARE and delete the same keys there, if they exist (they may not).
they weren't
4: Install Help & Manual 5
done
5: Start the program and enter your license codes when prompted to activate it
and it's stuck on splash screen again
Rob Bohls

uninstalled, deleted registry entries, ran CCLEANER, installed version 5; stuck at splash screen
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

I know this may seem obvious, but just to be sure: Did you also shut down and restart Windows? There may be some stuck process that is getting in the way, and that would clear it.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

I've just discussed this at length with our software engineers and they all agree that installing Help & Manual 6 could not have been the cause of this if you did not install it in the same folder as version 5. It can only be a coincidence that your splash screen issue happened at the same time. Also, Help & Manual does not install anything anywhere in the system except in its own program folder. So if you uninstall it and delete its registry keys, it is really gone. And if you then do a clean install and it is still sticking then there is a problem somewhere else. Obviously, we need to find out where that is, but it wasn't the HM6 installation. That is demonstrated by the fact that the problem is continuing after complete removal of HM6 from the system. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Rob Bohls

Opened in SAFE MODE and I was able to put in serial & activation code
Restart in normal mode and it opens fine

thank you for your help
Tim Green
Site Admin

When this happens you don't actually need safe mode. The easier option is to right-click on the program item in the start menu and select Run as Administrator. The problem here is Windows' rather opaque new user account systems, which don't make it clear that the standard new user account type is not actually an administrator account. On some systems, the permissions for the standard account prevent storing the installation credentials in the registry correctly. Unfortunately, this behavior is not consistent across all Windows installations. Sigh... :roll:
Regards,

Private support: