Table width

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexey Zhebel

Table width

Unread post by Alexey Zhebel »

I have the Size table to fit on page option selected for a table, however, in CHM and Webhelp outputs it acts as if it's set to Autosize table. I don't understant, why doesn't selecting the Size table to fit on page option for a table add the width="100%" attribute to it in the HTML code?
Tomek Shaft

Re: Table width

Unread post by Tomek Shaft »

Hello,

I have same problem in my WebHelp.
Regards...
Tomek
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tomek,

Are you really using Help & Manual 5? I thought you were on HM6. But I can't reproduce this on HM5 or HM6: In all cases the table is exported with the correct 100% width. Please make sure you are using the latest available release of whichever version of HM you are using. Check in Help > About and then download the current version here (the HM5 link is down at the bottom of the page):

http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tomek Shaft

Unread post by Tomek Shaft »

Hi Tim,

I Have H&M up to date, but i still can't set width of table to 100% because it automaticly change to option "size table to fit on page", which makes my table small (changing width of table to width of text inside the table). When You want to set table to full width of content You have to "size table manualy" but not in 100% but in 99%.
Regards...
Tomek
Alexey Zhebel

Tomek,

Actually, Size table to fit on page is supposed to be the same as Size table manually 100%. That's why it changes automatically. The problem is that when I set Size table to fit on page it still acts as if I have Autosize table set. I look at the source code in both CHM and Webhelp outputs, and the table width there is NOT set to 100%. I think it has something to do with dynamic columns.

I do not want my tables or any of the columns to autosize according to content at all. I want the tables to always be 100% of the paragraph width. Then I make all except one of the columns to be either fixed width or a percentage.

I tried to create a new project from scratch and it worked as it should.

I found that the problem was with the paragraph style in which the table is contained. It worked fine after I cleared the paragraph formatting. What is it in paragraph styles that prevents the table from being 100% width?
Alexey Zhebel

Tim Green wrote:I can't reproduce this on HM5 or HM6: In all cases the table is exported with the correct 100% width.
Tim, please try setting the left indent of the paragraph containing the table to anything but 0. I think that's the problem here.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Alexey Zhebel wrote:I do not want my tables or any of the columns to autosize according to content at all. I want the tables to always be 100% of the paragraph width.
Hi Alexey,

Try setting the width to 99% instead. The difference is only a few pixels and you will get the results you want.

regards,

Martin.
Alexey Zhebel

Martin Wynne wrote:
Alexey Zhebel wrote:I do not want my tables or any of the columns to autosize according to content at all. I want the tables to always be 100% of the paragraph width.
Try setting the width to 99% instead. The difference is only a few pixels and you will get the results you want.
For some reason this setting ignores the right indent of the paragraph. I set it to 97% so that it cuts off around the sale place as the text. But it still seems like a bug: 100% works only when the left indent is set to 0 (if not, the table is autosized), while any other table width setting in percent ignores the right indent completely.
Tim Green
Site Admin

As far as I remember at the moment disabling the 100% width when there are indents is by design. It's to deal with bugs in Internet Explorer, which is still incapable of dealing with nested elements with 100% widths. IE then calculates page widths that are always larger than the current window width, so that there is always an unnecessary horizontal scrollbar.

I just experimented with a table set to 99% with both left and right indents and that seems to work fine, both in web browsers and in Internet Explorer. Both the right and the left indents appear. How are you setting it up so that the right indent doesn't work?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexey Zhebel

Tim, here is what I get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Alexey,

I just noticed that this is the HM5 forum (I tend to just work through the "Unread Postings" list...). The reason I couldn't reproduce it is because this problem has been fixed in Help & Manual 6. If I compile your example in HM5 I can reproduce your results, in HM6 it doesn't happen... 8)
Regards,

Private support: