Unused images in "Full Report including Image References"

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Swede

Unused images in "Full Report including Image References"

Unread post by Swede »

The image folder in one of my H&M projects contains images that are no longer used (I've double-checked, they have been replaced by images with other names). However, they do not show up as "Unused Images" in "Full Report including Image References". I can't figure why. Any ideas?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Unused images in "Full Report including Image References

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hmm... they should show up. Are you running the report on the project itself, or is it a mergeed project inside another project? If you run the report on the master project it will only look in the paths stored in the master, not in any of the children.

Another possibility: Is there anything unusual about the file names of the images? For example, do they have invalid names because of spaces or non-alphanumeric characters in the file names?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

Solved it!

The project in question, which is in Swedish, also exists in an English version where the unused images showed up as expected in "Full Report including Image References". I compared the settings in the Project Report dialog for both projects:

- The Swedish project had Sort Order "Table of Contents Order (chapters + topics)".
- The English project had Sort Order "Sort by Topic ID".

The unused images showed up as they should in the Swedish project when I changed to "Sort by Topic ID".

One other difference: "Table of Contents Order (chapters + topics)" also lists images for merged projects, with the image names in red. "Sort by Topic ID" does not include image names for merged projects.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Swede,

Hmm... something seems to be wrong there. We'll look into it immediately. Thanks for noticing this! 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Swede,

Is it possible that you also selected a different report type? You will only get the unused images listed if you select "Full report with image references". 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

It seems boil down to whether you replace or remove an image. I did a few tests whith "Full Report including Image References" and here's what I found:

Scenario 1
Replacing an image, i.e. double-clicking on it in H&M, selecting another image from the IMG folder and then saving.
- Sort order "Table of Contents Order (chapters + topics)": The replaced image does not show up in "Unused Images"
- Sort order "Sort by Topic ID": The replaced image does show up in "Unused Images"

Scenario 2
Removing an image, i.e. highlighting it in H&M, clicking backspace do delete it from the layout and then saving. Oh, and checking it's not used somewhere else in the project.
- Sort orders "Table of Contents Order (chapters + topics)" and "Sort by Topic ID": The removed image shows up in "Unused Images" for both sort orders.

You should be able to reproduce this if you're interested. Or maybe I'm missing out completely on something here?

Just in case: I'm using H&M 5.6.0 Build 1360.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Just in case: I'm using H&M 5.6.0 Build 1360.
Sorry, I missed that -- that's ancient history, I'm afraid. A minor cosmetic issue like this will definitely not be changed in HM5 even if it exists. Actually, I have my doubts whether it does exist, because I can't reproduce any of your tests at all. The images show up in the correct lists correctly in all my repeats of the tests you describe.

How many folders do you have in your project search path? It's possible that you may have duplicate image names in multiple folders that are confusing the issue. Try testing it in a small test project with all the images in a single folder to start with.
Regards,

Private support:
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

I only use one image folder per project so there are no duplicate files in other folders. I ran the tests again with the same results as last time but, as you say, it's a minor cosmetic issue and it gives me no problems whatsoever.
Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Swede,

If you can mail me a small project folder structure with a couple of demo images illustrating the problem we'll have a look at it, but I can't promise that anything will come of it. It would still be interesting though to see if we can reproduce it here, also with the same project in Help & Manual 6. Please zip up the entire folder and mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll have a look at it. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

I have a couple of things to take care of first but you'll get the files next week at the latest.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

This little quirk remains in the project where I found it but I can't seem to reproduce it in a smaller demo project. Very odd, no idea why. Local gremlins I guess. :? It is a microscopic problem, however, so I'm going to let it be for now. If something else comes up I'll let you know.
Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Swede,

Thanks for reporting this. If I ever hear of it anywhere else I'll also get back to you on it... 8)
Regards,

Private support: