Accessing WebHelp topics by Keyword instead of Topic ID

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

DanCooperstock

Accessing WebHelp topics by Keyword instead of Topic ID

Unread post by DanCooperstock »

I take it there is no way to build a URL that goes to a specific WebHelp page, based on a Keyword (as I can do with HtmlHelp / CHM files), rather than the Topic ID?

I'm hitting a situation where I'm considering allowing some users to use WebHelp instead of the local HtmlHelp files. That wouldn't be hard to code, except for the problem that my context-sensitive access to the HtmlHelp files is currently always based on Keywords. So, I'd have to find every call to show a help page in my app and enhance it by including the Topic ID as well as the Keyword, for variable use depending on which type of help was being used.

Thanks.
Dan Cooperstock info@Software4Nonprofits.com
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Accessing WebHelp topics by Keyword instead of Topic ID

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dan,

Mapping to WebHelp by keyword isn't possible, but in the upcoming 6.3 update we are adding the ability to map to the help context numbers that are normally only supported in CHM files. Then you can also link to anchors and topics with context IDs associated with them just by adding the URL switch index.html?contextid=xxxx, where xxxx is the context number. That won't help you at the moment I am afraid, since you will be using A-Keywords for your context calls, but it will be an additional option in the future.... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.