HTMLHELP is out of date

This section is for announcements, information and discussions relating to the help community -- for example news about events and seminars of interest, developments in help technology and so on.

Moderator: Tim Green

Richard Brooker

HTMLHELP is out of date

Unread post by Richard Brooker »

The htmlhelp.exe file provided on the website is version 1.3
There is now a version 1.31 why is this not provided?
Richard G Brooker
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HTMLHELP is out of date

Unread post by Tim Green »

Richard Brooker wrote:There is now a version 1.31 why is this not provided?
Because it provides no benefits. CHM has not really been updated at all since it was originally released with Windows 98, among other things because all the people responsible for developing it are no longer with Microsoft. One suspects that nobody now at Microsoft wants to touch the unknown codebase. The version we are using is tried and tested and generally accepted as the version to be used. There is no good reason to use 1.31 and it could easily cause problems. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Richard Brooker

Unread post by Richard Brooker »

The problem was that after "Upgrading" to Windows 7 Help and Manual could not find the complier
So I tried to install the one from your web but got an error message that a later one 1.31 was already installed!
There was one in "Programs" so I uninstalled that and retried but got the same message - so I searched for the file and pointed H&M to it
Closed H&M reopened and it works.
Nothing would surprise me about Microsoft - they have totally lost the plot at present and don't mention Visual Basic .net around here!
Thanks for your reply H&M is a great programme.
It does what I need when I need it - even though I do not use most of your features.
Richard G Brooker
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Richard,

If you don't have any problems with 1.31 by all means go on using it, as long as HTML Help Workshop is also installed. You may need that program occasionally and not just the compiler -- for example to load the .hhp project generated by Help & Manual and compile manually to check for errors etc.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.