Navigation in a Toggled Tables

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Mrskos

Navigation in a Toggled Tables

Unread post by Martin Mrskos »

Hi Tim,

would you be so kind and help me to sort this problem out if it is possible, please?

I have got a CHM file where on the first page is a content of all chapters/links divided in four (4) toggled tables (see uploaded attachment, pls):

Now, if I click (expand) e.g. the second toggled table and open its first chapter/link (entitled "Informace ke změně osoby poplatníka") to read its text and then I push BACK button I return back to this first page but (all) toggled tables are collapsed again although I would need the one being expanded before (by clicking) to be still expanded (i.e. not collapsed).

I hope I submit my problem in a understandable way. If not let me know, please.

Thanking you in advance for your kind help & advice.

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Navigation in a Toggled Tables

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

When you navigate away from a topic and then back to it, it is closed and then opened again. When you do that the toggles will have the standard status they have when a topic is opened, which is usually closed. You can't have a toggle stay open after leaving and returning to a topic. The only alternative would be to set the toggles to be always open by default when you open the topic, which you can do in the toggle definition. (Double-click on the toggle link in the HM editor to edit this. The settings for the standard state on displaying the topic are at the top left.)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Navigation in a Toggled Tables

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jasmine,
I always get multiple instances of the Help file regardless of whether I start from a DOS command line or within my Smalltalk or Java application (using same syntax).
That is unavoidable with normal WebHelp because no browser allows external calls to an existing browser window. There is no hook or handle you can use to address an existing window from an external program. However, in the next version of Help & Manual we are introducing a new help format called eWriter that solves this and a number of other problems. On Windows, it combines the best features of eBooks, WebHelp and Microsoft CHM in a single format.

Basically, eWriter enables you to package any WebHelp output in a single file with its own integrated viewer. You get all the layout and skinning flexibility of WebHelp combined with the compact single-file packaging and efficient context help calls of CHM, and the calls always open in the same instance of the help. In addition to this you also have security and publishing features needed for eBooks, like password protection, expiry dates (you can make the help file expire on a specific date) and so on.

You can try the eWriter format out already with the stand-alone beta program version. See this thread for more information and a download link:

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtop ... =5&t=12930

CAVEAT: To begin with it is Windows only, because it needs to include its own viewer and is saved as an EXE file. The EXE can and should be digitally signed for security, but if you are producing software you already have a certificate and signing tools.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.