Screen shot overlapping bottom margin

This is the place to discuss Help & Manual 4 issues. Please don't post questions on any other versions here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bunnyslippers

Screen shot overlapping bottom margin

Unread post by bunnyslippers »

Hello,

How can I resize a screen shot so that it doesn't overlap the bottom margin on a page? I tried changing the bottom margin setting, but it still happens.

Example attached shows the very bottom of the page and the top of the following page.

Thank you,
Sue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Screen shot overlapping bottom margin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sue,

You don't provide information about where this is, but I'm guessing that this is probably a PDF. If the screenshot is overlapping the page on a PDF then there is something wrong -- you have probably set the "Keep with next" and possibly also the "Keep lines together" attribute on the paragraph containing the image. If you do that you make the image unbreakable, so that it cannot be shifted to the next page to make it fit, and then all Help & Manual can do is clip it.

The keep with next attribute should never be used in multiple consecutive paragraphs, or defined in body text styles or any styles used consecutively for multiple paragraphs. If you do this you create a large unbreakable block that almost always results in this kind of overlapping problem.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
bunnyslippers

Unread post by bunnyslippers »

Yes, this is a PDF...no, those two settings are not selected for the paragraph. I tried putting a page break immediately before it, but got the same result, so I guess the screen shot is too big to fit on one page. So - is there a way to shrink it so that it will fit?

Thanks for your help!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sue,
bunnyslippers wrote:So - is there a way to shrink it so that it will fit?
In current versions of Help & Manual images are scaled automatically to fit the page, but I notice that you posted in the Help & Manual 4 forum. If you're using HM 4 then you'll have to resize the image yourself in the Help & Manual editor (select and resize with the mouse, or double-click and enter a Zoom value). This will maintain the image quality in PDF because the full sized image will still be exported to the PDF file, so that you will get better quality when the user zooms the PDF viewer. If you want a smaller file size you need to resize the image with a graphics program outside Help & Manual so that a physically smaller image is inserted.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.