Heading 3 Topic style ignored in PDF Output

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

lgschwind

Heading 3 Topic style ignored in PDF Output

Unread post by lgschwind »

I am referring to styles used in the topic content, not the TOC styles set in Manual Designer. When I output to PDF, the font settings for Heading 2 are recognized but Heading 3 is not. It just makes it bold but seems to be ignoring the font size of 12. I am using Arial, 12pt, bold.

If I change the style to normal and then manually change it to Arial, 12pt, bold and apply the paragraph spacing then it seems to recognize it; however, that is not a good solution as I have many pages that would require manual editing.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Heading 3 Topic style ignored in PDF Output

Unread post by Tim Green »

The first thing to check here is whether you have different style settings defined for PDF and other formats. Each style can have two sets of settings, one for print-type documentation (PDF, RTF, eBooks) and one for electronic documentation (CHM, WebHelp etc).

Open the Edit Styles dialog and select the heading style in question. You will see two tabs: "Screen View" and "Print Manual View". Check the second tab. If the "Same as screen view" check box is deselected you may have different settings for PDF. You can switch between the two views in the editor with the Screen/Print toggle button in the status bar below the main editor window.

If that is not the problem the issue may be manual formatting, which always has priority over styles. If you click in one of the headings and the style name displays in bold and with a + after it in the style selector in the toolbar (e.g. Heading2+), this means there is additional formatting applied to it. You can reset this by selecting the entire heading and re-applying the style.

Another possibility is that you are publishing with a skin that you created yourself, and you opted to save styles with the skin when you created it. If you do this any named styles in the skin will always replace those in your project when you use the skin. So if you have a Heading2 style defined there, you will never see any changes to the Heading2 style made in your project, because the style in the output will always be replaced by the skin version.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
lgschwind

Re: Heading 3 Topic style ignored in PDF Output

Unread post by lgschwind »

Yes, thank you!! I actually figured it out this morning when I came in with fresh eyes. I noticed the Print Manual View tab. My apologies for a silly question.