PDF output

HM5 served us well, now its time has come and it has been replaced... If you have HM5 questions, please post them here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ingrid S Hughes

PDF output

Unread post by Ingrid S Hughes »

Hi,

I've been creating a new manual template and I'm having a problem with extra pages being included in the pdf output. One or two pages always appear after the TOC. If there are two, the first one is completely blank, while the second one has part of the header and all of the footer and part of the cover page material on it. If there's only one extra page, it's the one with the odd content.

I have all the pages in the template set to start on any page and I've enabled the setting to ignore blank pages. I've also disabled the Empty Pages tab. I need to get rid of the extra pages. What else can I try?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ingrid,

This sounds as if your layout is not fitting on the paper. Check the reference PDF printer driver you are using in View > Program Options > PDF. Open the printer driver options in Windows and make sure that its default paper size is the same as the paper size you are using in your HM PDF output. For example, American Letter paper is significantly shorter than European A4 paper. If you output an A4 PDF to a Letter format driver you can get clipping or extension to the next page.

If this isn't the cause it will be something in your template that is making the content longer than the page. The easiest solution here is for us to look at the template. Mail a short demo project illustrating the problem and your .mnl PDF template to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it for you. It's easiest if you send a compressed, single-file HMXZ project. If you're using uncompressed .hmxp for your daily work (and you should!), you can save a single-file .hmxz copy with Save As... in the File menu. Choose the "Help Project (single file storage)" format, (.HMXZ in the description text on the right). Then just delete all the unnecessary topics in the project copy before mailing.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ingrid S Hughes

Re: PDF output

Unread post by Ingrid S Hughes »

Hi Tim,

I've done what you suggested and emailed a demo project illustrating the problem. I'm looking forward to any help you can provide. Thanks!

Ingrid Hughes