Master pages?

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Graeme Webb

Master pages?

Unread post by Graeme Webb »

Hello you lot,

First time posting and I have a question. I'm currently learning H&M for work and am updating documentation. One doc sets we're developing has a template in Word that we'd like to transfer over to H&M, i.e., it has dynamic items in the header and footer such as chapter # and version. Is there anything in H&M that's similar to Master pages like in Framemaker or Madcap Flare?

Your help would be much appreciated!

(BTW I'm really liking H&M so far)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Master pages?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Graeme,

Welcome to the forum!
Graeme Webb wrote:First time posting and I have a question. I'm currently learning H&M for work and am updating documentation. One doc sets we're developing has a template in Word that we'd like to transfer over to H&M, i.e., it has dynamic items in the header and footer such as chapter # and version. Is there anything in H&M that's similar to Master pages like in Framemaker or Madcap Flare?
Unlike some other help authoring tools, Help & Manual doesn't ask you to set a single primary output for which your project is set up. You can always publish/export to any supported format at any time. This means that you have to set up your templates (the generic term for things like master pages) separately for each output format. For example, headers and footers are generally only relevant in PDF, so you would set that up in your PDF template. In WebHelp for browser view you need completely different templates, and so on. In addition to this there are also generic templates you can set up for things like new topics.

For an introduction to the various things that are possible here, start with this chapter in the help:

http://helpandmanual.com/help/index.htm ... plates.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Graeme Webb

Re: Master pages?

Unread post by Graeme Webb »

Thanks for the guidance Tim!