Merging two projects

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Marcus kerr

Merging two projects

Unread post by Marcus kerr »

Hi, I thought that I had seen options regarding this in the application but cannot now locate them.

The situation.

I have multiple projects running, each has their own home folder in which the project file and all required source are located, images mainly.

I now need to merge two separate projects, I can open both and drag topics about between them quite happily but the images are not following. Is there a full merge process or do I just need to simply get the images from project 1 (from within window) and copy them to the folder in project 2? (and hope I don't have too many with the same name?)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Great application btw, saving me not hours but days of work :-)

MK
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Merging two projects

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Marcus,

Updating your image references is simple: Only the image file names are referenced in the topics. Help & Manual finds them by looking in the folders listed in Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path (from top to bottom) and inserting the FIRST image it finds with a matching name. To get images from an additional source you just need to add the folder to the list. References are relative to the project location, so the best place for image folders is inside the project folder. Then you can move everything around without changing anything. Alternatively, if your new merged project is going to be your primary project, you can just move all the images to the new project's image folders. Then they will be found immediately.

If you are merging the two projects permanently then copying and pasting between the TOCs is the way to go. Alternatively, you can also just insert a reference to another project in the TOC of the main project, and all the second project's topics will be merged into the output when you publish, just as if you were publishing from a single project. But the two projects remain completely independent and can still be edited and published separately if you want. See the chapter on modular projects in the help for more details on this.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Marcus kerr

Re: Merging two projects

Unread post by Marcus kerr »

Thanks, that the pointer I needed, all sussed now.
Cheers.