Renaming publishing tasks

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Hawco

Renaming publishing tasks

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

Admittedly this is a low priority item, but if there's an easy fix, please let me know!

In a few of my projects I have five or six publishing task actions set up under a task called "New Task." It's like that because I forgot to name the new task when I created it. There is zero impact on the published results, but it annoys me that the task has such a silly and useless name.

Is there a way to rename a publishing task? (Not a task action; the task itself.)

Thanks!
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Renaming publishing tasks

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

Help & Manual itself doesn't let you rename the tasks, but you can do it manually if you're using the uncompressed HMXP format and are willing to edit the main HMXP configuration file in a text or code editor. You must close the project in Help & Manual before doing this, of course.

Locate the <export-tasks> group. Within this group you will find a number of entries called <export-task>. Just rename the name attribute in these as you will and then save the HMXP. That's it.

If you want to do this with an HMXZ file you don't need to re-save as HMXP. Just change its extension to ZIP and use a zip utility to extract the project.hmxp file it contains. Edit that, put it back in and then re-change the extension.

Make a backup before doing this kind of thing... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.