ePub errors and warnings when validating in epubcheck

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

KenHerman

ePub errors and warnings when validating in epubcheck

Unread post by KenHerman »

I am currently trying to generate epub output from a project I am working on and everything seems to output fine. But, when I run the output file against ePubCheck I am getting hundreds (yes hundreds) of errors and warnings.

I have run ePubCheck against an older output file from an older H&M project (from 8/2014 and older) and they all seem to run through ePubCheck without any errors or warnings. But, if I re-generate a new epub from the same old project (without any change to the project), and run it through ePubCheck, I again get hundreds of errors and warnings.

Am I missing something here? Did something change in H&M 7 that would cause this, or do I just need to update something in the project to fix the errors? Any help would be appreciated.

Here is an example of some of the errors and warnings I am seeing (I put them at the end for better reading of this post):

WARNING(HTM-014a): temp.epub/content.opf(67,140): XHTML Content Document file name 'OPF/appendix_d_-_formulation_equat.html' should have the extension '.xhtml'.

ERROR(RSC-005): temp.epub/OPF/wide_kneel.html(26,805): Error while parsing file
'attribute "cellspacing" not allowed here; expected attribute "about", "accesske
y", "aria-activedescendant", "aria-atomic", "aria-autocomplete", "aria-busy", "a
ria-checked", "aria-controls", "aria-describedat", "aria-describedby", "aria-dis
abled", "aria-dropeffect", "aria-expanded", "aria-flowto", "aria-grabbed", "aria
-haspopup", "aria-hidden", "aria-invalid", "aria-label", "aria-labelledby", "ari
a-level", "aria-live", "aria-multiline", "aria-multiselectable", "aria-orientati
on", "aria-owns", "aria-posinset", "aria-pressed", "aria-readonly", "aria-releva
nt", "aria-required", "aria-selected", "aria-setsize", "aria-sort", "aria-valuem
ax", "aria-valuemin", "aria-valuenow", "aria-valuetext", "border", "class", "con
tent", "contenteditable", "contextmenu", "datatype", "dir", "draggable", "dropzo
ne", "hidden", "id", "inlist", "itemid", "itemprop", "itemref", "itemscope", "it
emtype", "lang", "ns1:type", "ns2:alphabet", "ns2:ph", "onabort", "onblur", "onc
anplay", "oncanplaythrough", "onchange", "onclick", "oncontextmenu", "ondblclick
", "ondrag", "ondragend", "ondragenter", "ondragleave", "ondragover", "ondragsta
rt", "ondrop", "ondurationchange", "onemptied", "onended", "onerror", "onfocus",
"oninput", "oninvalid", "onkeydown", "onkeypress", "onkeyup", "onload", "onload
eddata", "onloadedmetadata", "onloadstart", "onmousedown", "onmousemove", "onmou
seout", "onmouseover", "onmouseup", "onmousewheel", "onpause", "onplay", "onplay
ing", "onprogress", "onratechange", "onreadystatechange", "onreset", "onscroll",
"onseeked", "onseeking", "onselect", "onshow", "onstalled", "onsubmit", "onsusp
end", "ontimeupdate", "onvolumechange", "onwaiting", "prefix", "property", "rel"
, "resource", "rev", "role", "spellcheck", "style", "tabindex", "title", "typeof
", "vocab", "xml:base", "xml:lang" or "xml:space" (with xmlns:ns1="http://www.id
pf.org/2007/ops" xmlns:ns2="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/synthesis")'.
Ken Herman
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: ePub errors and warnings when validating in epubcheck

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ken,

Before doing anything else, please make sure that you are using the current version of Help & Manual 7. Since this is a new release, updates are going to be released quite frequently in the first period. You can check your installed version with Help > About. The current version is 7.0.7 Build 3770. If you need to update you can download the latest installer from

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd

Just install on top of your current version to update.

There are a couple of other things to check here: First of all, Help & Manual uses the latest ePUB standard, ePUB 3. It is fully backwards compatible with earlier versions of ePUB in readers, but if you are checking with a validator that only knows ePUB 2 then it is quite conceivable that you would get errors. Another possibility is that you manually edited the page template for ePUB (the requirements are quite strict). Also check the required ePUB settings in Configuration > Publishing Options, although that is unlikely to be a cause of the kind of errors you are seeing here. Finally, check the fonts you have selected in your project -- if you are using non-standard fonts you will need to embed them in the eBook.

However, the errors you are getting here look quite extreme and are not normal. If you continue to have problems please mail a single-file HXMZ project illustrating the issue to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it right away.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
KenHerman

Unread post by KenHerman »

Thanks for the quick reply Tim.

I updated to the latest version (I was at 7.0.5) and tried to re-generate the epub file - with no success. To the best of my knowledge, I have not modified the page template (I believe you are referring to the Configuration / Publishing Options / eBooks / ePUB - Table of Contents & Page Template - right?). Also, the epub validation utility I am using is epubcheck v4.0.1 which supports the latest epub standards. I have also tried to embed the fonts, but I am not using non-standard fonts. As a final attempt, I saved the project to the single file format and re-generated again - no success.

So, I have taken your suggestion and emailed the project file to support.
Ken Herman
Wickie43

Unread post by Wickie43 »

Hi. I am trying to do a series (3 books) of Epub's and each gives me the same issues where I get about 100 errors of the exact same kind. I am using the current version of the program. Any thoughts? Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Wickie,
Wickie43 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:36 pm Hi. I am trying to do a series (3 books) of Epub's and each gives me the same issues where I get about 100 errors of the exact same kind. I am using the current version of the program.
First, have you configured all the ePub settings in the projects you are using to generate the books? See here in the help for details (from what you write I'm assuming you are using the current version of Help+Manual 8):

https://www.helpandmanual.com/help/hm_w ... bmobi.html

It's particularly important to not try to edit the HTML templates for the TOC and book pages. eBooks have very primitive HTML support and you should leave them as they are unless you have changes that you are 100% certain are ePub compatible.

If you continue to have problems please mail me a small demo project with which you can reproduce the errors at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it out for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.