Problem when using a V3 responsive skin

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Paul Suderman

Problem when using a V3 responsive skin

Unread post by Paul Suderman »

I've got a problem!

I just bought the Premium Pack 3, and when I try to publish my CHM using any of the V3 Responsive skins I've tried so far, I get the following Compiler Messages:
Cannot export baggage file hmpopup_html.js

File name jquery.history.js contains ambiguous characters ".h". The HTML Help compiler will attempt to full-text index this file and treat it as HTML.

Help compiler started: E:\Apps\HTMLhelpworkshop\hhc.exe

Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling E:\HelpAndManual7\CHM Output folder\eASLRB5test.chm

HHC4006: Warning: The file "hmpopup_html.js" is already listed in the [FILES] section of the project file.
HHC3004: Warning: jquery.history.js : The HTML tag "=e;++n)h.forward(t);else{if(!(e<0))throw new Error..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
The same skin works fine using WebHelp output, but I thought the responsive skins (really I just want the bigger/smaller font option in my CHM) were for .chm and webhelp and this is why:
Help+Manual Premium Pack is a set of 48 professionally-designed skins that take the WebHelp and CHM output of your Help+Manual projects to a whole new level. A single WebHelp site now works smoothly on desktop, tablet and smartphone browsers, with an optimized user interface for each device type.
Any idea where I go from here?

Thanks,

Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Problem when using a V3 responsive skin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

This is just a misunderstanding: The V3 responsive skins are just NOT for CHM files. Please don't try to use them for that. They are WebHelp only, there are dedicated CHM skins for CHM use. The responsive skins would also give you no benefits in CHM, because nothing in them would be of any use for CHM output. All their functionality is for WebHelp. The responsive skins also cannot be used for EWriter -- you need to use the V2 WebHelp/EWriter skins for that.

We may add a font size option to the CHM skins at some point but it is not as practical as for WebHelp. The Microsoft CHM system is ancient technology that has not been updated or even corrected since it was originally released with Windows 98. It does not support modern HTML technologies at all, including the technologies that make it possible to easily adjust the font size globally for everything on a page. Basically, CHM is stuck at the level of Internet Explorer 8 -- and by default it is actually at the level of Internet Explorer 7. It is possible to raise it to the level of IE 9 for some things, but only in a limited way and with a number of bugs and restrictions.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.