IPP Preview in File Explorer

This is the place for questions on using Impict, Help & Manual's integrated screenshot editor and enhancer.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: IPP Preview in File Explorer

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tobias,

Update: It appears to be a problem with the way Windows 10 is handling file associations compared to earlier versions of Windows. I can reproduce the issue by changing the file association manually, which makes the previews disappear. We're looking into it.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Just to add in case it is relevant, I noticed that previously my IPP files had the red "i" icon showing, but no preview available.

After installing Alexander's latest beta, I now get the preview, but no icon.

Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Martin Wynne wrote:After installing Alexander's latest beta, I now get the preview, but no icon.
And if you then go and manually select Open With... and choose Impict as the application to open .ipp files with always, you will get the icon back and lose the preview. There is something funky going on with the way Windows 10 handles the associations in relation to the preview handlers. Alex is looking into it.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tobias Escher

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

So it is NOT my system. I feel great now ;)
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Tobias,

We can duplicate the problem. If the file association with IPP images is set (icon shown), the preview handler stops working and vice versa. However, we decided to put the preview on the back burner for the time being and removed it from the setup. We'll get back to this, unfortunately more complicated than expected, issue another time.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Tobias Escher

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

Ah, what a shame. But indeed - it is not the most important thing in the world. Maybe you can get it working one day.