Ewriter exe file property versions

This forum is for discussions on the Help & Manual Premium Pack and the Premium Pack Toolbox configuration utility introduced with Premium Pack 3

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

appleton

Ewriter exe file property versions

Unread post by appleton »

When I build my product I ensure that the file properties of the exe files have "File version" set to the same major, minor and build values as the build.

I'm using Premium Pack 3.43 Flat_Blue_Diamond_EWriter.hmskin to produce an exe help file.

In my project file, in Configuration > Common Properties > Title & Copyright I have set the Major, Minor and Build versions, but when I publish using the above skin the resulting exe file properties have File version and Product version always set to 1.0.0.0.

I know it's a minor point, but is there a way to have these exe file properties set to my configured Major.Minor.Build values ?
Martin Wynne

Re: Ewriter exe file property versions

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi,

I don't know the answer to your question about setting it from H&M.

But there is a simple 3rd party program FVIE available (free) which can edit the file version information in any exe file: http://www.carifred.com/fvie/

From http://www.carifred.com which is a French company with several useful developer tools.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

We're putting this on the Wish List for future versions. Supporting this is technically possible but non-trivial. In addition to the version number it should also be possible to include things like copyright etc., and it would also need to work both with single-file EWriter books (viewer and book in the EXE) and ones that are separate. When the book is in a separate file, you then need to decide what should be in the EXE viewer file...
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

I use Resource Hacker (freeware from http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker) to add copyright and version resources to EWriter output. It has the advantage of a scripting feature which allows the addition of the resource strings to be automated in Finalbuilder. Since all the information I need to add is already in FB variables, this automatically matches the product resource strings with the help.
appleton

Unread post by appleton »

Thanks all.

I'll look into those utilities for the time being then.