Insert picture

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Insert picture

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

At the moment inserting a picture from file embeds the image. Is there a possibility to be able to link a picture in future like in H+M?

Also, is there a way to have objects snap to each other whilst moving them? I would love to see on the fly smart aligning in the future.
Darren Rose

Re: Insert picture

Unread post by Darren Rose »

+1 for object snapping for alignment
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Object snapping is already there and you can also define the size of the snapping grid. Hold down SHIFT while moving or resizing an object. Read this chapter in the help:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/gf_interface_mouse.html

Embedding: Images are not embedded in Xplains, they are always linked. If you look in the Xplain output folder you will find all the images there. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Good stuff. 8)

With regards to how H+M reads the HXp file; if an image that is linked to an HXp file is updated would I need to open, update and save the HXp file before H+M can read the image update in a linked HXp?

Does that make sense? :|
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote:With regards to how H+M reads the HXp file; if an image that is linked to an HXp file is updated would I need to open, update and save the HXp file before H+M can read the image update in a linked HXp?
No, it's dynamic in exactly the way that Impict IPP images are. The Xplain is always read directly into Help+Manual from the current .xplain file and rendered into an image on the fly, if it has been inserted as an image, or compiled with HelpXplain on publishing, if it is inserted as an animated Xplain. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Excellent!

Cheers, Tim.
Ga Bowen

Tim Green wrote:Object snapping is already there and you can also define the size of the snapping grid. Hold down SHIFT while moving or resizing an object. Read this chapter in the help:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/gf_interface_mouse.html

Embedding: Images are not embedded in Xplains, they are always linked. If you look in the Xplain output folder you will find all the images there. 8)

Why can't I get this to work?

Grid snapping works, but none of the objects snap to each other.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Ga Bowen wrote:Grid snapping works, but none of the objects snap to each other.
Perhaps Tim misunderstood you, I don't think there's support for objects snapping to other freely sized/positioned objects.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Objects won't snap to each other but you can align them to the same X/Y positions on the grid, which gets them aligned.
Regards,

Private support: