Need clarification re: responsive images <100%

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Need clarification re: responsive images <100%

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Under the Inserting graphics and screenshots topic,In the toggle, "Responsive images: relative to page or table cell width", the Help file reads:

"If the width [for a graphic/screenshot] is defined as any percentage less than 100% (i.e. up to 99.90%), the image will only expand up to its full native width but will not zoom further to prevent excessive scaling. Setting a width of 100% turns this off and allows unlimited scaling."

This seems to say, if I specify a 3840 pixel-wide UHD full screen-shot graphic at 50% of page width, and the page is being seen on a 1920 x 1080 HD monitor, the graphic will expand to 3840 pixels ("full native width" [of the graphic]) rather than restrain itself to 960 pixels (50% of the current viewing page width).

Is this really what's meant here? (I must be reading something wrong...even if "native" means "native to the viewing device," it seems to say that the "50%" graphic will become 1920 pixels in my example, i.e., 100% of the device's native viewport.)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Need clarification re: responsive images <100%

Unread post by Tim Green »

HI Dave,
This seems to say, if I specify a 3840 pixel-wide UHD full screen-shot graphic at 50% of page width, and the page is being seen on a 1920 x 1080 HD monitor, the graphic will expand to 3840 pixels ("full native width" [of the graphic]) rather than restrain itself to 960 pixels (50% of the current viewing page width).
Of course not. The percentage is always relativ to the browser page, not to the physical device monitor. That being said, don't insert images that large in a web page. That's simply a waste of space, even on a 4K or 5K monitor. :mrgreen:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.