HelpXplain translation

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Peter Muckle

HelpXplain translation

Unread post by Peter Muckle »

Hi,

This is a basic question...I am going to have a go at translating Xplains, but before I start, I'm not sure what happens to the source language? If my source is in English and I translate to French, then back to English, will it be exactly the same?

Thanks

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HelpXplain translation

Unread post by Tim Green »

Peter Muckle wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:31 pm This is a basic question...I am going to have a go at translating Xplains, but before I start, I'm not sure what happens to the source language? If my source is in English and I translate to French, then back to English, will it be exactly the same?
In a word, no. Even though DeepL is pretty good, translating back and forth repeatedly between languages with machine translation is an excellent way to create Surrealist Dadaist poetry. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Peter Muckle

Unread post by Peter Muckle »

OK thanks, so I make a copy of the Xplain for each language and translate that? I wasn't sure if the source language is saved somewhere.

Thanks

Peter
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Peter Muckle wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 am OK thanks, so I make a copy of the Xplain for each language and translate that? I wasn't sure if the source language is saved somewhere.
That is definitely what you would need to do. Managing multiple languages in a single project would be madness. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.