Font for Typewriter animation

HelpXplain is the exciting new animated infographics and screencast tool that integrates with Help+Manual.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

anders_g

Font for Typewriter animation

Unread post by anders_g »

Hi,
Designing my movie I used a font called "Hand Me Down" with Typewriter animation to illustrate a form being filled out. I guess that font wasn't on my server, so in the end the Times New Roman font was used. As I don't have access to the inner workings of my webserver - is there any way to include the font file in the xplain files somewhere?
/Anders
Anders Gustavsson
Lund, Sweden
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Font for Typewriter animation

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Anders,

You don't need the font on your server, that would be much too complicated, so you shouldn't plan on being able to use the unusual font you mention online. The only really efficient solution is to use Google Web Fonts.

First visit the page linked above and choose the appropriate font you want to use.

1. In the section for the font you want to use, click on the middle red menu and select the style and weight you want.

2. Click on the + icon in the top left corner to add that to your font family. Repeat this for all the styles and weights you want to include. Remember that more styles and weights increases the amount of data that needs to be downloaded.

3.Click on the black "drawer" that appears at the bottom to configure and copy your embed code.

webfonts_select.png
When you click on the black font family drawer it opens up with configuration options. Click on CUSTOMIZE to add language support and fine tune the weights and styles you have selected. The code you are going to need to add to your skin is the STANDARD version. Don't get the @IMPORT version, we won't be using that. Click on the download button in the top right corner to download the TTF fonts. You should then install them on your Windows computer so that you can use them in HelpXplain. To install, just right-click on the .ttf font files in Windows Explorer, click on Install and then restart Help+Manual.

You then need to use the fonts in your HelpXplain project directly, just as you would use any other normal fonts in your projects.

webfonts_drawer.png

Finally, you need to add the embed code you got from the Google Web Fonts site in Step 1 to your HelpXplain project. The embed code for your set of fonts will look something like this:

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family ... i,500,500i" rel="stylesheet">

Open your HelpXplain project, select File > Properties and then paste the entire embed code into the Custom Meta Tags tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.